Reload this Page >

Decisions-sightseeing - Garnish Is & Kilkenny

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Scott

These are two places I haven't found a lot of reading on. We're staying one night in Bantry Bay. Worth our time to go 10 miles out of our way and take the boat ride to the garden? Blooming in September? Other question is Kilkenney -- if I have to skip some other sites to go there, is it worth it? How much time does it take to park and walk to the castle? I understand you can't drive around in the main part of town. Does this mean quite a long walk to sightsee? What time does it get dark in early September?

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 12:17 PM
mikey

I have always been able to drive through Kilkenny and find a parking space within a block of the castle. In early September it gets dark just after 6 pm (rises about 6 am).

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 01:09 PM
Ann

You can drive around the main part of town, but no one in their right mind does. I think there are parking lots within a reasonable walking distance of the castle. <BR> <BR>Don't know how long the castle takes. I've been to Kilkenny twice, and haven't been to the castle yet. Been too busy roaming around town, trying out different pubs and restaurants and enjoying this little city. Definitely recommend it. As the advertising says, it's Ireland's best inland city.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 02:52 AM
michael

I found Kilkenny Castle very interesting, also I would tour Bantry House and skip Garnish Island.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Edmond O`Flaherty

Kilkenny is an attractive place to visit but it is a long way from Bantry.An intersting place not too far from Bantry (64 miles) is the Mizen Head Visitor Centre which is at the most southerly point in Ireland.It was opened originally as a Fog Signal Station in 1909 (being in the area where ships from America first reach land) and then a lighthouse was built-not a tall one though as everything is on the side of a cliff.The views from the area are spectacular and you can spend a few hours there,including a visit to the coffee shop and a guided tour.Go early in the morning and on a fine day.About 500 visit the centre daily but note that the last few miles of road are very narrow and it is difficult to pass vehicles.There is a photograph of the area on www.mizenvision.com

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 05:32 PM
mikey

Thxs Ann, <BR> <BR>I guess I'm not in my right mind (LOL)!!!! My mom always said I was a bit touched! <BR>

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 06:16 PM
Dan

I loved Kilkenny but I was underwhelmed by the castle. I had more fun just walking around and looking at the colorful vibrant shops. So much of the world is starting to look the same, but when in Kilkenny I knew I wasn't in the US anymore. When crowded though the driving is insane. I found myself with about an inch of clearance on my left from the pedestrians and an inch from the oncoming cars on the right. Even though I was going about 5 miles an hour it was a miracle I didn't hit something or someone.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 10:59 AM
Ann

Any time, Mikey! <BR> <BR>When I reread the postings, my comment does seem a bit vicious. I just remember saying to my husband and we wandered (on foot) around town, "No one in their right mind would drive in this town!". <BR> <BR>For anyone who cares: there's a really good Indian restaurant in Kilkenny. Can't remember the name, but if you're walking down the main drag through town, you'll come across a bookstore with a cafe on the second floor. Next to the bookstore is an entrance to an alleyway. Go down the alley about 100-200 yards, and you'll come across an Indian restaurant.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 12:08 PM
mikey

Ann, <BR> <BR>No worries! I didn't take it that way at all!