Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Decision Time, Part Two--Dordogne: Monpazier? Sarlat?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been to Monpazier? What did you think of the town? There's a lovely flat there, right in town, which does not, fortunately, have a one week minimum.

(Those one week minimuma, set arrival-date places -- can really make a challenge with planning!)

So, if we spend three or four days there, where would you recommend for another 3 or 4 days in le Dordogne? (Sniff-that's all the time we have in that area for this trip.) Sarlat? Beynac?Rocamadour?
We have pretty much the same touristic interests in the region as everyone else--great country drives, lovely scenery, enchanting castles, and at least one amazing cave with prehistoric paintings (I nearly cried just looking at the pix of the Pech-Merle cave!).

Any and all feedback gratefully and respectfully appreciated!
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 11:52 AM

Monpazier is too far away from the main sites in the Dordogne, IMO. It is a cute town, however.

I don't understand your 3-4 days here & 3-4 days there - but you don't want to rent for an entire week. We've stayed in the exact same gite near Domme for a total of 10 weeks over 5 trips - and a single location works out just fine. We've done an "overnight" to St Cere and another to Brantome - but you could probably visit each of these areas from a single location near Beynac/Roque Gageac/Sarlat. If you want two locations, I would stay 5 nights near Sarlat and 2 nights near Rocamadour.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 11:56 AM

Monpazier is a stunningly beautiful bastide. That said, I wouldn't want to commute from there to the main sights you'll presumably be wanting to see.

Agree with Stu - find a central location and rent there for a week. If you have days to spare, head for the Rocamadour area.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Stu. T is why i asked about Monpazier--a lovely town, but it seemed like an awfully long drive to many places of interet. I have read your info too--fantastic! Sounds like you recommend one place as a base for a week. That was my original idea. But I thought to stay in two different parts of the Dordogne within the week might save on too much driving for those day trips.
So your rec would be for an entire week in one central place--with day trips. We really do prefer a self-catering place, and nearly all have one week minimum, so that is ok, The Monpazier flat was one of the few that did NOT require a full week.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

St Cirq, thank you for your input. OK, looks lioke it's back to the drawing board!!

Would love both of your 9and others') feedbacks on my "decisions Part One" thread--Uzes or St Remy --or another Provence town to 'set up shop' for a week.

We prefer to be walking distance to a town, not a drive away. Need that a.m. eye opener, when even making it myself, or driving a bit, is a hassle!
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 01:20 PM

We've stayed in Sarlat twice now, each time for one week. It's a lovely town with good restaurants, interesting shops & a wonderful market day! It's well located for daytrips.

The Dordogne is one of our favourite regions in France!

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 02:39 PM

Hi CaliNurse,
If you decide to rent a gite, you need to read Stu's recent article on gite rental. Just click on his name to find it. Very informative. The site he lists http://www.gites-de-france.com is very informative and easy to navigate around. You will absolutely fall in love with the Dordogne.

If you decide to stay in a B&B I can recommend a wonderful one in Beynac that we stayed in last year.
Michele
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for advice!!!

So...for a Dordogne base, Sarlat it is, based on the above feedback. We may have to chose between visiting Dordogne or Provence--another challenging decision. AH, the limits of vacagtion time!

Michelle, yes I'd love the name of the b and b.

One of the problems with rentals of gites, cottages, flats, etc is most in France have a one week minimum and a set arrival /turnover day of the week. While I understand that especially in a busy season, it can wreak havoc with travel planning. B and B's dont have the advantage of self-catering, but they do give more flexibilty for days and length of stay.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

For the five days we have in the area, we're renting a place in Sarlat, right in the town. The building is old; the flat is "new" i.e recently remodeled for the rental market:

http://www.in-sarlat.fr/holiday-rent...ogne-gite.html

The owner of the company "in-sarlat" has been great to work with. ANd i love that they accept payments via credit card!
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 01:50 PM

Good decision. We stayed for a week in Monpazier and a week in Sarlat (on different trips) - Sarlat is much more central for day trips. Monpazier is a small, beautiful bastide town, but Sarlat is just stunning. Get the little walking tour map from the Tourism Office, and take yourself of a mini-tour of the town.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 04:49 PM

Hi CaliNurse,
I'm sorry I missed your request for the name of the B&B. It is http://www.lepetitversailles.fr/page/eng/accueil.html.

We absolutely loved it there. Francoise makes the most wonderful breakfasts. She starts the evening before making puddings etc. for breakfast the next day.

We plan to stay in a gite next time we stay in the Dordogne but if you ever just stay for a couple days the B&B is fantastic.

Take care,
Michele
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 04:15 AM

Calinurse - I'm looking for a rental in the Dordogne as well - please report back and let us know what you think of your Dordogne rental - ease of parking and if the balcony they refer to is large enough to sit outside and enjoy a glass of wine?!

Have a wonderful trip.
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Michele, thank you for the name of the B and B. Yummyy!! We were lucky to find a place willing to rent for less than an enitre week In-sarlat.fr)

Travelfan, I am going in June..and it's quite difficult to wait! I will report back then.

Do you want a place right IN a town, or outside of it? There are lots of places in the countryside, but we wanted a place where we didnt have to drive for a coffee first thing in the morning. Thus, our choice of places in the "ville" itself.

If you're ok being near a small village the Dordogne, check "VacatininParis" website, and go to "other destinations" and you'll see house in the Dordogne, in Plazac. It has a swimming pool and for its size, seems reasonably priced. The owners also advertise on Homeaway.