Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

DECISION, DECISION - Apartment in Le Marais BUT which Street?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am now in the process of finalizing my Paris accommodation and desperately in need of your help and guidance. My issue is: I could not make up my mind which street to select.

The first apartment is located at Rue de la Cerisaie (800 euros for 7 days) and the other one is located at rue de Venise (770 euros), 20 yards from Beaubourg. Both are charming and fully furnished. The only difference is the first apartment provides a PC computer.

I appreciate your quick response so I can mail the contract and give my deposit as soon as possible. BTW - Both were asking $750 security deposit (in the form of a check to hold the apartment). Upon my arrival the landlord will give me back the security in exchange of the full amount of the lease. Is this a normal practice when renting an apartment?
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 10:04 AM

I think the security deposit is standard. Have you tried google maps street view? That may give you a feel for strolling the streets and you can see where you feel the most "at home". I think the PC is a good feature.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 10:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I have never paid a security deposit in advance. Generally I give a deposit of some percentage of the rent when I first sign the lease and then anywhere from a month prior to arrival to a week before arrival the remainder or another portion of the rent is due. A security deposit is given upon arrival at the apt. and returned once u check out and there is no damage. R these rentals thru VRBO or a rental agent?

I prefer the location near the Beaubourg, but having a pc would be nice.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 11:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I would be happy staying on either street. I am more familiar with the area around rue de la Cerisae, and I think it's a terrific area.

I would be inclined to make my decision based on other factors, and could not tell you more without seeing the two apartments.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies:

Here are the apartment links: Both have excellent reviews!

http://www.apartment-in-france.com/p...tudio-beauboug
www.parisbestlodge.com/cerisaie

I've tried googling both areas and seems to me they are close with each other.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 11:54 AM

I lean toward ceriesaie. Personally, I prefer both the apartment style and the location.

I stayed very near the Beaubourg apartment 2 years ago in early May, and found the crowds on Rambuteau and near the Beaubourg area to be, at times, overwhelming and exhausting. I really enjoyed having my "own" apartment, and while it was manageable, I decided that next time, I'd look for a quieter location. If memory serves me correctly, the area around the Bastille has a much more neighborhood feel, and yet is easily accessible to tourist destinations. There's also a fabulous market at Bastille on the weekend.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 01:14 PM

I really like the Cerisaie location. Two years ago we stayed in an apartment in the rue Charles V, just a couple of blocks from there. It's a very convenient location, should be less busy than around the Beaubourg. An easy walk, though, to restaurants and nightspots in the Marais. Not sure about that loft bed, though.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 11:25 PM

The Paris Bestlodge 'security deposit' - which can be a personal cheque in your own currency equivalent and which in the usual course is not banked - is to secure the booking and is essentially a demonstration of good faith, rather than a down payment on the rental or security against possible damage during your stay. And the 'contract' is a straightforward one page job - so the whole process is as easy as can be.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 03:40 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I would like the Cerisae location and apartment better if it were not for the loft bed, but that might not bother everyone.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 06:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I stayed in an apt with a loft bed and thought it would be fine. By the end of the week, I was rather tired of going down the steps in the middle of the night or early am -- always worried i'd slip or trip. Cute apt though.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Since many of you have selected the Cerisae location, I proceeded signing the lease and mailed it to the Landlord today along with the security deposit. Aside being in a good location, having a PC in the apartment is a big + so I do not have to worry bringing my laptop.

Thanks again for ALL of your great recommendations.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 02:45 PM

If it's a percentage of the fee made upon booking, that isn't a security deposit, it's just a partial payment on the rent, which is, of course, completely normal. I don't know any place that will rent to you without any deposit, they would have no idea if you'd even show up.

It makes no sense to send a check which is never cashed as a gesture of "good faith". If you know they won't cash it, it is meaningless and doesn't demonstrate anything. I've never dealt with them, though, they could have such unusual policies, you can find someone who will do anything. If they really do that, it seems risk-free, but as to whether it is "normal", I'd say no. And it shouldn't be for most businesses, most places require you to pay a portion in advance, 25-50 pct and you do pay it, it is cashed or charged to your credit card.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cerisaie. I've rented from Paris BestLodge and they never cashed the check I sent to hold the apartment. Very easy rental process.