December in Umbria

Nov 17th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

December in Umbria

My husband, my brother and I will fly into Rome on Nov. 29. We plan to rent a car, drive to a villa we have rented on the Amalfi coast and explore the area for 5-6 days. My brother and I will take my husband back to Rome for him to leave on the 6th of Dec. At that point, my brother and I plan to drive to Umbria to spend another week. I would like to have suggestions about a base in Umbria. I have considered Spoleto, Spello, Montefalco, Bevagna, and Perugia. We want an apartment or farm house stay because I think it is less expensive in the long run. I like the idea of the smaller hill towns because I have done a similar trip a few times in Tuscany. However, my brother and I both love music and evening activity that a college town might provide...even though we are WELL beyond college age. I welcome suggestions about the itinerary and accomodations in Umbria and restaurants. Thanks!
Nov 17th, 2009, 08:49 AM

Iree...for some of the cosmoplitan reasons you state, we chose Perugia as a five day base a few years ago...and loved it...all the other towns are easy to visit on short day trips. Liked Montefalco and Bevagna over Spoleto, but Spello is a quaint little place worth a few hours stroll. You can get all of the small town feel that you wish in this manner...but Perugia does rock....but, we were there in early spring, dunno about December...could be cold and maybe not as lively.

stu
Nov 17th, 2009, 09:02 AM

I would imagine that Perugia will be cold and no doubt have rain but that can be true with about any where in Umbria unless the weather is especially nice. I immediately thought of Perugia after reading your wish for some night life, Ireece.

If you don't receive recommendations here for an apartment you might check: http://www.slowtrav.com/.
Nov 17th, 2009, 09:10 AM

In 2006 I spent a delightful 6 weeks renting a little chalet from Vacanze Ideale just outside Paciano. I highly recommend staying in/outside small towns and visiting the big ones.
Nov 17th, 2009, 10:43 PM

We spent 9 days in a wonderful small hotel in Bevagna called Palazzo Brunamonti. This was in October several years ago and the weather was perfect. In December I would imagine there could be lots of rain (Umbria is called the "Green of Italy" so it MUST rain quite a bit). And so I would wonder whether staying outside a city in an agriturismo is the best choice. If you stay in Perugia, you probably will have lots more choices of what to do, both in rainy weather and at night. But be warned that at least for us, it was quite the nightmare driving in and out of Perugia, as opposed to all the other smaller and quaint towns we visited (Spello, Spoleto, Todi, Montelfalco, etc.).
Nov 18th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the information. I have found what seems to be a great place 20 minutes from Perugia. We will have a car to visit all the towns. This place is close to a train station if we decide to train into Perugia instead of hassle with parking, etc.
Nov 18th, 2009, 09:23 AM
DRJ

FYI, there are excellent turn by turn directions for entering Perugia on the Slowtrav website. You may have to dig around for it, but it takes the misery out of Perugia and it ends at a parking garage at the foot of the escalators to centro. BTW, if you click on my initials you will receive more information on that corner of Umbria than you can use. Ciao.
Nov 18th, 2009, 11:19 AM

Be sure to visit Gubbio one evening during your time in Umbria. Strings of lights are hung above the town from top to bottom in the shape of a Christmas tree. They go up on Dec. 7th.

http://www.bellaumbria.net/Gubbio/ev...m?ev=804174869