Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

December: Day trip to the mountains from Alsace/Stuttgart?

Old Oct 31st, 2017, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm visiting my parents in Stuttgart for the holidays and we're taking a post-Christmas trip to Alsace. We want to visit the mountains during a day trip at some point during our time together, but are having trouble determining the where and when. Are the Alps a possibility? Somewhere in the Vosges? We'd love your recommendations!

Bases:
12/21–26: Stuttgart
12/26–29: Colmar
12/29–1/1: Strasbourg

Details:
Six adults, all mobile and active. We'll have a van outfitted with the appropriate stickers for driving in Switzerland, Germany, and France, so we'd prefer to drive but have no problems opting for public transportation if it makes more sense. There's nothing specific planned for day-to-day activities yet so we're happy to take a whole day at any point to make a trip.

Ideal: Snowy vistas, easy walking, scenic lunch spot, not too crowded. We also don't necessarily have to ascend a peak—an alpine town tucked against the mountains would be nice too. We are considering Lucerne (from Colmar) and up Mt. Rigi, or somewhere near Garmisch-Partenkirchen, but acknowledge these places may be crowded.

Any advice is very welcome. And let me know if the information I provided is lacking crucial detail. Thanks all.
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 04:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can drive onto the "ballon d'alsace" and look south towards mont blanc which, on a bright sunny day will be a lovely white against the blue, eat local food and wine in the few bars up there, great way to pass a few hours.
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 07:13 AM

Between Stuttgart and Alsace there is the Black Forest. To experience a beautiful view, you might want to go up the cable car near Freiburg:

http://www.blackforest-tourism.com/M...reiburg-Horben
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your comments! Will take note.
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 04:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Depending on the weather -- assuming you want to see some snow -- the Vosges are excellent in within easy reach of Strasbourg for example.