Debating Berner Oberland Short Stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2021, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have been following Swandav's thread which has caused me to seriously re-think our 2022 trip to Europe. We will have three full nights/days prior to Verona and will be making our way there from Switzerland by train.

We have a reservation in Lausanne at our "usual" hotel but am thinking a return to the BO might be more relaxing. We've been before and the last time based ourselves in the dreaded (by some) Grindelwald. That worked well despite a hotel room with no screens on the windows and an abundance of flies!

This time around we are thinking perhaps Wengen might be a better spot. We could do other places such as Lauterbrunnen or even Spiez. We also thought about a return to Luzern.

Timeframe will be very late August.

A friend keeps raving about Murren...so many choices and so little time.

We are not hikers ( I would but HE definitely won't although HE should but that's another marital story). Just to be there, ride the trains and the cableways would be fine.

Any advice helpful and appreciated. Thanks very much
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Dukey1!

I adore Wengen, and I've stayed at the Alpenrose there a few times. You tell them what time you're arriving, and they pick you up with an electric van. Can't go wrong imo.

Have fun panning!

s
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks

I will look at the Alpenrose
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 10:25 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm in Switzerland right now myself; sadly leaving tomorrow after a month here.

I'm a big fan of Wengen and Murren, visited many times, although we've not been in a few years, having since discovered areas we enjoy more. We enjoyed the Alpenruh in Murren, with in-your-face views of the alps, and the Bellevue in Wengen - they have a great corner room with spectacular views, and the half board during our two stays there was wonderful.

Personally, I'd not visit the area in August, but that's only because crowds are not my thing, and it can get very busy in the high season.

Old Oct 24th, 2021, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Melnq8,

thanks for the reply and recs. Yes, I expect there will be a lot of visitors but we are locked into the dates so trying to make the most of them.
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been to Wengen and Murren. If you don't mind being a bit more remote I'd definitely choose Murren. We stayed at the Hotel Alpina and were blown away. Our balcony looked straight down from the top of the cliff. https://www.alpinamuerren.ch/en/hotel It does take more time to get to Murren...but we felt it was well worth it.

You don't have to be avid hikers to stay there and enjoy the scenery. Just take the gondola to the top of the Schilthorn and you'll have the most incredible views on earth with nothing but easy strolls.
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Wekiva, thank you for your response and recommendation which are appreciated