DD alone for a week in Leeds...thoughts?

Oct 14th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Original Poster

DD alone for a week in Leeds...thoughts?

So, as some of you may know our future son in law is playing in the Rugby League World Cup. After the Workington game dh & I will spend time in Keswick & York before the next game in Halifax. Dd will base in Leeds for a week, while her fiancé trains there .

Anyone got suggestions on a great central hotel and on how she might fill in her days?

If I had to list her hobbies, I'd have to say 'shopping'! ;-)
Oct 14th, 2013, 01:02 AM

There's a branch of Harvey Nicks in Leeds ;-)
Oct 14th, 2013, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

Good start missprism...
Oct 14th, 2013, 02:09 AM

I haven't got the faintest idea what sort of hotel your daughter regards as "great" - and you'd be a very unusual mother indeed if you did, either (if your mother really knew what you honestly liked 30 years ago, she was the only mother in the developed world who did.)

The Malmaison markets itself to sport-centric youngish people, with predictably intolerable moron music in its breakfast room. Personally, I'd avoid it like a cliche, except that its branch in the provincial city I need a hotel in most often is forever offering the sharpest prices in its class, and it's got a dog policy that's almost unique among "stylish" urban hotels.

Leeds hasn't had the tsunami of new hotel developments Liverpool and Manchester have had over the past decade (possibly because of its Harvey Nicks, and in spite of coming through the last 75 years with less architectural destruction than the other big provincial cities, it's not got the youth cred most of the others have acquired), so there's not that much choice. But I'd never have trusted my mother to arrange my hotel, and I imagine your daughter's a lot better at using the web for advice than you or me.

To be honest, Leeds itself isn't the tourist draw most of the others are. What it's got, though, is a dynamite railway system offering same-day trips to lots of terrific places. Skipton, the Yorkshire coast, lots of Pennine villages. Three seconds on a computer and she'll have loads of things to do
Oct 14th, 2013, 02:09 AM

There's a Malmaison in Leeds - great, contemporary and reasonably priced hotel chain.

http://www.malmaison.com/locations/leeds/
Oct 14th, 2013, 02:43 AM

I bid on priceline for a 4* hotel and got the marriott in Leeds at a super cheap price. Great location. Check out winning bids at www. betterbidding dot com to see what people have won recently
Oct 14th, 2013, 02:47 AM
Original Poster

Just to clarify, when I said "great" hotel I meant to say great location.
Thanks Kate & lincasanova, I'll pass these suggestions along .
Oct 14th, 2013, 03:03 AM

Malmaison and Mariott well placed for shopping, Crown plaza is way out so avoid. New shopping centre Trinity opened this summer is wonderful if you like shopping. Hilton is to be avoided (over the station) as is the Queens which despite a revamp is still frankly not impressive. 42 the Calls is worth it if you can get a big discount. Don't know the Raddison Blu but it is built into a shopping/cinema complex.

Flanner has it right about the trains which make all the local sites very easy to get to but she may also need to use a bus. http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2...epeatingloop=Y can tell her it all.

York, Manchester and Hebden Bridge (think hippy chick) are all just a train away
Oct 14th, 2013, 03:50 AM

Bilbo has it right, Manchester is a great day out!
Oct 14th, 2013, 04:09 AM

I work in Leeds city centre and can confirm the shopping is great. The Victoria Quarter and the new Trinity Centre are very good. The Light has shops, restaurants and a Cinema all under the same roof - and the Radisson hotel too I believe.
Harrogate with its upmarket shops is easily reached by bus or train.
Oct 14th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Fantastic, thank you