Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

DC---National or Dulles, which is cheaper?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying to Madrid in May, 2 tickets via ff miles and 1 ticket we'll have to purchase. My question is which of DCA and IAD is generally cheaper to fly out of (we just moved to DC from CA 2 months ago, so this is new territory for us). The airline (Delta) gave us a choice of either airport when we went to reserve our ff tickets. (The two ff tickets are currently on hold, but not booked, so they can be changed.) I want to book the ff on the cheaper route since we'll be paying for the 3rd ticket ourselves. Or is the difference pretty insignificant and I shouldn't worry about it. Any ideas?
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 08:41 AM

If the price is the same fly out of Dulles. National is a nightmare! I drive two hours from Richmond and even though National is a little closer Dulles is so much easier and usually cheaper for the international flights I've taken. I would think the airline could tell you if there is a price difference for the dates you're flying or you could check expedia. They make it pretty easy to check different airports when you are looking at specific days.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

I did check rates for both airports and right now they're about the same, though National is actually slightly cheaper. But I wanted to wait un a bit later, when prices my drop a bit, as they tend to 3 or so months out. Thanks for the tip on National. My husband flies out of Natioinal all the time and hasn't mentioned anything. What makes National a nightmare?
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 09:41 AM

When checking rates for the DC area, use WAS as thae airport code.

That wil bring up Delles, National, and BWI.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 10:35 AM

TRAFFIC-and the whole configuration of parking and getting in and out of the airport. Now I must admit it's been probably two years since I've even tried National and if you are taking a cab to the airport and not leaving at peak times it might not be so bad.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 10:36 AM

National typically is much easier to get to (unless you live near Dulles) because you can take the metro right there). Dulles is also a pain because you always end up at the stupid midfield terminal, so you have to get on the people mover. Then, immigration is a HUGE nightmare any more at Dulles. The other day, they had THREE people working the US citizen side. The last four times I've been through Dulles, the wait in immigration is at least one hour. At least that means that your luggage is always waiting for you on the other side!
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 10:41 AM

You can't fly out of DCA directly to an overseas destination. It is a domestic airport. If your tickets are on Delta, you will probably go to Atlanta and change planes for Madrid. Dulles would be more likely to have flights directly to Madrid. As for crowds, both are pretty crowded. If you live in DC, Natioanl is very convenient. Dulles is further out of town and harder to get to.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your thoughts! Very helpful stuff. We live in No. VA, almost completely equaidistant from both DCA and IAD. Yes, we do have a connection (so far as our itinerary stands now) in ATL on the way there and JFK on the return. They were unable to offer us direct flights out of either IAD or DCA to Madrid. Unless anyone thinks we might be wise to change to Dulles, thinking mostly about the fare for the 3rd ticket, we'll probably just stick with the DCA itinerary--and we'll take a cab! Thanks for the help!
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 11:13 AM

I live in DC and just bought a ticket for Spain, coincidentally, so kind of know what I've found. First, you can tell the airfare differences by looking at the fares, which I guess you did. Generlaly, that are about the same from all these airports on international routes, so I go by schedule and type of plane I want. Surprisingly, there are no nonstops to Madrid from Washington DC any more. The big difference is where you choose to transfer.

If you fly from DCA, it is in the US, if you fly from Dulles, it can be in Europe. I just chose by airline I wanted and picked Continental because they codeshare with Virgin going across and it is really Virgin Atlantic through London. Coming back, it is nonstop from Madrid to Newark and then a domestic from there. I knew if something happened there like flight cancellations, etc, I can always get home from Newark a variety of ways fairly easily.

If Delta gave you a choice, no doubt the flight to Madrid is the same, just the short connecting flight will differ, so just figure out where you want to connect through and timing. I find Dulles easy to navigate but like national because it is closer to my home and smaller. I think Dulles is a lot cheaper longterm parking, though.

I don't think it matters too much if you aren't paying for parking. It seems to me flights from DCA tend to have more schedule changes, but yours may not.