Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Daytrips from Mykonos -- Tinos & Delos -- rough seas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I stay in Mykonos in the beginning of July, I'd like to take 2 day-trips: one to Delos and one to Tinos. I've heard that Delos can be a rough crossing, is that true of Tinos? And, how can I tell if the sea is rough that day ahead of time (i.e. before getting on the boat)? Do I just ask at the port? I am assuming that even though the weather is nice, the sea can still be rough right? I don't usually get seasick, but I don't want to chance it. Thanks!
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:24 PM

What's wrong with waiting until the morning of the day you want to travel to assess conditions in the sea? You can't tell a day ahead of time what the sea will be like the next day. Winds kick up during the night making previously calm seas choppy. If the seas have been rough for a day or two beforehand, and if the weather is consistently windy you can expect the same the next day. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old May 16th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

I don't mind waiting until the morning of the day I'd want to travel, I was just wondering if you could really tell just by looking... Do the seas get rough in those short distances, even if it's nice and sunny that day?
Old May 17th, 2008, 06:54 AM

We've had all kinds of boat rides in Greece, from very calm to extremely turbulent. For that reason, I'd recommend bringing along whatever seasickness preparation works for you. Non-drowsy Draminine worked well for me last summer. Oh, and yes, you can experience rough sea conditions even on a "nice, sunny day." At least we did!
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:05 AM

Whitecaps outside the harbor area are a good indication. If it is very windy, the seas will be rough. Sometimes it will be calm first thing in the morning, but windy later in the day when you return from Delos.

Best thing is to ask locally, or check a weather website. Here is a Beaufort Wind Scale chart for both land and sea (use the bottom of the chart and compare with weather forecasts): http://www.zetnet.co.uk/sigs/weather...s/beaufort.htm