Daytrips/Attractions/Restaurants in/near Sorrento/Ischia/Naples

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2015, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In late September, my husband and I are visiting the Bay of Naples for the first time. We will be in Sorrento for 4 days, Ischia (Forio) for 3 days and Naples (Chiaia) for 3 days. I'm looking for recommendations from people who have been there...what did you do that you REALLY enjoyed and would recommend to somewhere else? Looking for fun neighborhoods to visit, great daytrips, museums, pizza places, and romantic restaurants!

Thanks!
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

And I love gelato. Where can I get the best gelato ever?
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

And any thoughts on Herculaneum vs Pompei?
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 12:20 PM

It really depends on what you enjoy. You can check Viator for various activities such as a pizza making class or wine and cheese tour. In Sorrento if you are a beach lover take the elevator to the bottom and rent a chair. Take the ferry over to Capri. Take a day tour of the Amalfi coast. Tour a lemoncello maker.

If you like relics the museum in Naples has the findings from Pompeii. Pompeii itself is striking.

Have lunch or dinner overlooking the water. Go for an evening passagetta. (evening walk)
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 12:55 PM

Chiaia is a vibrant neighbourhood - take a walk along the pedestrian street to Via Toledo, have coffee in Gambrinus, visit the Palazzo Reale or take a tour of Teatro San Carlo.
The new metro stop Municipio has just opened so you can take metro line 1 from this stop to the Naples Archaeological Museum (Museo is the stop) and see the artefacts and finds from Pompeii/Herculaeneum.
Also while in Naples, Via Partenope along the waterfront is a vibrant scene at night with buskers, lots of restaurants and the castle illuminated - very beautiful.
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 01:49 PM

From Sorrento, ferry boat to Positano and/or Capri and/or Amalfi (the city, not the coast). Local train to Pompeii (try to get an early start). For eats, Pizzeria di Franco (pizza obviously) and for gelato, Davide. You will LOVE Sorrento. Never been to Forio and didn't care for Naples at all. Buon viaggio!
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 02:15 PM

I didn't care for Sorrento at all. Too many British tourists - too expensive - nothing to do except eat, shop and get on the train to somewhere else. It's a good launch pad for Capri and Pompeii but that's about it.
People who say they 'didn't care for Naples' probably just saw Garibaldi station and the autostrada leaving town.
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 02:28 PM

Sorry, Cod, didn't see the autostrada.
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 02:28 PM

Where are you staying in Forio?

Are you willing to walk uphill from town to reach a restaurant?
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Wonderful suggestions and I'll look into each.

As for what we like doing...we're up for just about anything, but my husband hates going anywhere with large crowds of tourists. Our favorite thing to do is eat good food and drink great beer, wines and cocktails in relaxed, interesting setting. We do like tours where we get to see how stuff is made and even participate, so the limencello making tour sounds like a great idea.

ekscrunchy- Yes...we're in good shape and willing to walk uphill. Especially if the way back (when we're full of food) is downhill! We're staying at Hotel Providence Terme