Daytrip from Venice: Vicenza or Treviso

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 10:10 PM
Holly

Daytrip from Venice: Vicenza or Treviso

Any preferences, & why? In reply, please include how far the centre historico is from the stazzione! (since I'll be walking from the train station)

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 06:33 AM
Carol

IMO, the top daytrip from Venice is to Padua to see the Capella Scrovegni which is Giotto's great masterpiece and an extraordinary experience. Can't help with the distance from the stazzione but why can't you take a bus if necessary?

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 07:01 AM
Paulo

You don't mention Padua as a possibility ... Have you already been there?

Anyways, regarding distances:
Padua - from the train station to the Capella degli Scrovegni (Giotto frescoes) and Chiesa degli Eremitani (Mantegna frescoes) it's a 800 meter stroll. From there to St. Francis Basilica some 1,400 meters more

Vicenza - from the train station to Piazza dei Signori it's about 1,200 meters. To the start of Corso Palladio, however, it's only half this distance.

Treviso - the walled town is an approximate 400 x 800 meters rectangle. The train station is 100 meters outside the walls.

Which one? This is tough! As a city, I like Treviso best ... probably because it's very reminiscent of Venice with all those river canals and Venice is my preferred city on earth

If you value most paintings, I'd say go to Padua. If you value most architecture, go to Vicenza. If you don't care much about art, and just want to spend time in a quaint little town with very good food, go to Treviso!

I've a feeling that I'm not helping you much It really doesn't matter because any choice you make you can't go wrong.

Paulo

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 07:34 AM
Holly

Paulo: That is exactly the information I'm looking for! Venice is also my favorite city, & from your response, I'm inclined to go to Treviso. Now I'm thinking, Treviso & Vicenza both in 1 day? What do you think?

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 08:27 AM
kam

Holly, Just to confuse you a little more--How about the city of Romeo and Juliet--Verona. City center easy walking from station (as is all the town) and an easy train ride from Venice--I remember about an hour. Of course, Padua is wonderful as well. That's the problem with Italy, trying to decide where to go.

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 11:33 AM
Paulo

No sweat, Holly ...

You may plan to visit Treviso first and have lunch there. If you feel like extending your stay you just return to Venice in the late afternoon/evening. Otherwise you take the train to Vicenza. Your daytrip plan could look something like leaving Venice at 8:42am/9:04am, arriving in Treviso at 9:16am/9:35am. Leaving Treviso at 1:46pm, arriving in Vicenza at 2:44pm. Leaving Vicenza at 6:18pm/7:04pm, arriving in Venice at 7:28pm/7:57pm.

From Venice to Treviso there are very frequent trains. From Treviso to Vicenza there are trains every 2 hours. If you don't catch the train indicated above you'd run late and it would only make sense if arriving in Venice at night (possibly having dinner in Vicenza). From Vicenza to Venice there are trains roughly every 1/2 hour.

Paulo

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 12:47 PM
Holly

Thanks, Paolo. You've been very helpful.

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 02:43 PM
elvira

THANK YOU, PAULO!! Looks like the Loons will be in the Venezia area this fall (no car, we'll be on a self-drive boat, taking aim at waterfowl) and the distances from the stations definitely help; ditto the things to see.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 04:23 PM
Heather

Hope this helps.