Reload this Page >

any groceries you'd bring from home??!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 09:46 AM
hopenotdumb

staying in a apt. with full kitchen for 3 wks. in Tuscany..any foodstuffs you'd miss and bring from home that you can't get there??

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 09:55 AM
liz

Hi, the foodstuffs available in Italy are amazing, try going to the indoor San Lorenzo food market for supplies. However having said that, if there are any special things that you can't funtion without ie: special tea or whatever, if it's not too much of a hassle them bring it. Have fun!

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 10:05 AM
Lily

While I always like "living like the natives" when visiting another country.. I will confess to one thing I'm not crazy about in Europe - the coffee! A spoonful of instant coffee and hot water is much easier for me to take in the morning! So I just pack my own...actually some brands come in individual packets which are really convenient. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 10:11 AM
xxx

Answer: NO!

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 10:17 AM
Joan

You might want to bring your own coffee or even instant coffee if you can't start your day with out it. You may not be able to find an American type brand for brewing. And the kitchen may not have a *Mr. Coffee* type pot so instant may be your best bet. I live on ice tea so I took instant tea with me. I'd also bring things I didn't want to spend my vacation money on and may have to buy a big container of over there like sugar, dish soap, laundry detergent, buy those little picnic size salt & pepper, etc. Your equipped kitchen may already have these items but if they don't I'd take a 3 wk supply of anything you use regularly. The space they take up in your bag on the way over can be filled with souvenirs on the way back! <BR> <BR>Now, aside from that, shopping in grocery stores in other countries is great fun! Browsing up and down the aisles and trying new products or variations of familiar things is one of the best experiences. You may find yourself bringing these items back! <BR> <BR>Have a great time!

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Beth

nope, no foodstuffs. But i have to admit, when I go someplace (in the US or Europe) where I'm going to have a kitchen, I bring my own knives. I have yet to find a rental unit equipped with decent sized, sharp knives. so I wrap them up in washclothes, and put them in my checked luggage. (don't try to bring knives in carryon's! the airlines get VERY upset about this).

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 10:54 AM
StCirq

&lt;&lt;any foodstuffs you'd miss and bring from home that you can't get there??&gt;&gt; <BR> <BR>For three weeks? Absolutely not - maybe after three years, but otherwise my groceries all travel in the opposite direction. <BR>Also wanted to mention that iced tea (in mixes and bottled and in cartons) is readily available in Italy and France these days (probably elsewhere in Europe, too). There is even a fizzy version called Liptonic!

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 11:15 AM
sally

-throw away salt and peppers <BR>-little pkgs. sugar, ketchup (eggs in the morning?) - gather at fast food restaurants <BR>-4-5 bounce sheets <BR>-dishwasher/clothes washer cubes <BR>-little containers dish soap <BR>-SOS pad/brillo pad <BR>-instant coffee <BR>-no food-too much wonderful stuff there <BR>

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Lori

If you use the stuff - bring little packages of Equal or Sweet and Low.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Joanna

Italians are not 'big' on breakfast - apart from a coffee, most skip it. I found this to be true when staying with a local in Palermo. I am used to having small breakfasts, just coffee and toast. So I'd bring the vegemite with me.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 04:38 PM
Ger

I suppose it depends on where you are coming from and your particular culinary tastes. <BR> <BR>Ideally, you should consider using local produce and take the opportunity to learn local recipes (Before you leave, photocopy some really great recipes from good Italian cookbooks). <BR> <BR>But things that may be difficult to get locally … <BR> <BR>- I have an English friend who won't leave home without his Marmite (is that Vegemite (and will someone tell me why it is in the MS "spell-check"?????)). <BR>- Not my taste, but if you like peanut butter ...well only North Americans appreciate it..enough said <BR>- Regardless of where I travel, I always bring my "mini Bodum" (saves you having to read the Italian instructions on how to operate the coffee machine in the apartment) and a small amount of coffee from my local coffee shop (they roast their own beans and my husband is very picky over his coffee - probably not a problem in Italy!) <BR>- If you like Indian, Thai or Chinese dishes, and intend to cook, you may want to bring "Sharwoods", "Pateks" or similar sauces or bring your own herbs and spices; they may be available locally, but will be expensive in Italy (also, bring basmati rice - outrageously priced in Europe). (This is a personal preference: I cannot go ONE week without wanting one of the above cuisines) <BR>- Scotch, if you partake <BR>- Tea .... unless I am traveling to England or Ireland, I always bring my own <BR> <BR>Make sure your "hosts" stock the apartment with the basics - milk, bread, coffee, bottles water (if required), local wine. Also, ask them to recommend local butcher, baker, fish merchant, co-op supermarket etc. etc. <BR> <BR>Regarding utensils, pots, pans etc. ... buy locally and bring them back. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your vacation ... Ger <BR>

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 05:12 PM
Lindsay

Hi from Australia! Vegemite is definitely NOT Marmite although they look the same! Vegemite was the only food item I took from home too - great on toast, bread, biscuits!! My Italian husband would not touch the stuff- it's an Aussie thing!!

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 05:27 PM
StCirq

&lt;&lt;So I'd bring the vegemite with me.&gt;&gt; <BR> <BR>YUCK!!!!!!!!! I think this is one of the reasons I keep going back to Europe instead of venturing to Australia - that and the bugs.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 05:46 PM
SharonM

OK, I'll 'fess. <BR> <BR>...a few packs of "sweet and low". (that is, if I even think about it...) (yea, yea... I know... If you use the stuff, it can be hard to find...) <BR> <BR>Otherwise, I'd buy EVERYTHING locally! <BR>...thus, the sweet and low... <BR> <BR>(think local cheeses, olives, wine and beer...) <BR> <BR> <BR>I'll drink green tea w/ honey when I get home... <BR> <BR>PS. I think vegimite is an acquired taste...yet, when I can't attain it, I kind of crave it. wierd, huh.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 05:49 PM
SharonM

oops... <BR>sorry, lori. <BR>I didn't see your post up there!

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 05:54 PM
Ger

Thanks Lindsay for the explanation ...I empathize with your Italian husband re "generic, brown coloured spread" that may be Marmite or Vegimite! But it is "comfort food", isn't it? When I was a child, it was BOVRIL sandwiches (Marmite/Vegimite with Mad Cow Tendancies!) and OXO cubes. <BR> <BR>Personally, I find the Marmite/Vegimite/Bovril sandwich more palatable than the dreaded "peanut butter & jelly" thing. <BR> <BR>Regards

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 07:14 PM
Frieda from Frisco

To those of you who would take your own coffee, especially instant to Italy, you would then probably also be smart to take the following: Mrs. Paul's fish sticks, Ore-Ida tater tots, Kraft macaroni and cheese, instant mashed potatoes, Hamburger Helper, jello instant pudding, Ragu spaghetti sauce, Kraft canned Parmesan cheese, and Marshmallow Creme. Also be sure to take a list of MacDonald's restuarants for emergencies. If you prefer instant American coffee to the Italian variety, you probably won't like any of the food there either so stick with the above American specialties. Better yet, why not just stay home so you won't have to endure the horrible Italian food and you can just cook in your own kitchen at home. Contrary to popular belief Italy is not a third world country. If you can't find anything suitable there to eat without taking something from home, you really should probably just stay at home. Gasp, three weeks away from American food and being forced to eat in Tuscany, what could be worse?

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 07:25 PM
xxx

Marshmallow creme? Frieda - - that stuff is totally zero-fat. Any of us good red-blooded Americans who have gone hungry on an Eye-Tal-yun vacation know what you need to get by over there: <BR> <BR>Bob Evans sausage <BR>Cool Whip <BR>Pop tarts <BR>Pork rinds <BR>Egg nog <BR>and Onion rings <BR> <BR>Now THAT's a breakfast. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 07:54 PM
Peanut

peanut butter!

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 09:57 PM
Melissa

Oooooh, I wouldn't bring anything from home, not even coffee! The coffee in Italy is yummy & smooth. I'm a caffiene addict, but I loved the Italian coffee because it didn't make me hyper or anything. <BR> <BR>I didn't miss anything about American groceries in Europe. Yeah, American packaging is superior, but other than that, so what. <BR> <BR>But I agree with Beth, I'd at least bring my own Opinel knife so I could cut things decently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -