Day trips in glasgow

Search

Day trips in glasgow

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trips in glasgow

I will be spending 3 days in Glasgow in July and I was wondering if someone could recommend a day trip.

Day 1 - Glasgow
Day 2 - Edinburgh on
Day 3 - ???

basically I need one day trip (we have rented a car).

Thanks
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Are you sure you need a car? It would be easier to go to Edinburgh on the train (city center to city center, no need to find a parking place).

That said, it depends on how far you want to drive. Loch Lomond and the Trossachs look pretty and not too far. If you want to investigate driving times, use www.multimap.com or www.theaa.com.

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 09:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Well - you do not need nor want a car for <u>either</u> Glasgow or Edinburgh. In fact a car is more trouble than it is worth in both places. Use public transport for Glasgow, and take the train to Edinburgh. The train drops you at Waverly Bridge in the very center of the city and from there you can walk just about everywhere.

As for another day trip - what sorts of things do you want to see? Probably the easiest would be a loop along Loch Lomond, through the Trossachs, Stirling Castle, Inchmahome Priory and back to Glasgow - or in reverse (Inchmahome/Stirling/Trossachs/Loch Lomond)
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I was posting the same time as mimar. Guess you can see the suggestions are spot on . . . . .
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 10:17 AM
amaclise

Take a roundtrip train ride to Fort Williams and back. Great scenery. Amazing trip through the Scottish Highlands on a cute, little putt putt train on a track that seems hard to believe at times (for the building of it, not the safety).

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:39 AM

or perhaps a trip from Glasgow to the island of Arran.

There's a direct train link from Glasgow Central station to the ferry port (Ardrossan) leaving at various times of the day e.g.

depart Glasgow Central to Ardrossan harbour 08.33
depart Ardrossan for Arran 09.45
arrive Arran 10.40

You could have a full day on this very pleasant island (sometimes known as Scotland in Minature) returning to Glasgow 21.22 or earlier depending how long you wish to stay on the island.

The timetable is at:-

http://tinyurl.com/ewd2y
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 02:26 PM

If you are into train travel and want to spend a long day on the trains, you could make a loop from Glasgow. Glasgow Queen street station to Aberdeen then to Inverness and back to Glasgow. Like I said, you will cover lots of ground and will spend 9 1/2 hours.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 01:09 AM

But since you've rented a car, I'd suggest options would be:-

Loch Lomond
The Trossachs
Highland Perthshire

but an off the wall thing to do IF the weather is good would be to drive down the south side of the Clyde to Gourock- get the ferry to Dunoon, drive over the Cowal peninisula to Portavadie, and get the ferry to Tarbert.
Drive round Loch Fyne, over the Rest and Be Thankful and down Loch Lomond to Balloch and home along the north side of the Clyde. Definitely what I would do. IF the weather were fine.

Old Jun 11th, 2006, 08:22 AM

amaclise is talking about the West Highland line from Glasgow. But why not continue past Fort William to Mallaig? That last leg is supposed to be the most scenic.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Actually not. I think the sectionover Rannoch Moor is &quot;meant to be&quot; the most scenic. However you look at it the whole thing is pretty top.