COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Day Trips from Venice

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Day Trips from Venice

I'll be staying in Venice for one week in June 2008. I'm interested in taking a couple of day trips within the Veneto and have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a Web site where you can view all of the train stops? I know you can check on prices and schedules if you know where you are going, but I'm curious about what towns the trains stop in.

2. Some of the towns I've read about are rather large; such as Padua and Verona. Can you walk to the sites once you've gotten off the train?

3. Can you get on and off the train with one ticket, or do you have to buy a ticket for each leg of the trip that day? I know they have a rail pass, but I don't want to spend hundreds of Euros for one day.

Thanks for the advice!
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 06:49 PM

Modglila

I have found a train route map on the trenitalia website. It was somewhat helpful. Sorry I don't have a link.

We are going to Padova during our one week stay in Venice next month. I don't think we can see all the sites, but we shall see what we can see in one day.

I had considered Verona, but didn't like the times of the trains, and I can't remember why. But folks here encouraged me to visit Padova, and that's what we'll do. I've been reading a lot about it and it sounds good.

Another day will be spent going to Burano and Torcello.

I think that's enough day tripping for me in a week. Too much to see in Venice and I've been 4 or so times before.

I hope the map is helpful to you.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Tuscanlifeedit,

I went to Italy two years ago and I know I had a link back then. Maybe it was to the Trenitalia site. I'll start looking there. Are you taking the train from Venice to Padua/Padova?

I've forgotten, which is the Italian spelling?

Lisa
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 07:38 PM

Hi Lisa

Padova is the Italian spelling. We are going to take the train; it's a really short ride with lots of options.

See if this helps:
http://www.trenitalia.com/it/bb4ce2a...e90aRCRD.shtml

I use this one for time tables
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

The first link is only in Italian, but it gives you an idea of trains in the Veneto.

Old Sep 15th, 2007, 12:42 AM

Hi Mod - Day-trips from Venice? Lots of possibilities

Besides Verona and Padova, other options include Vicenza, Treviso, Asolo, Bassano del Grappa, Marostica ...

Other possibilities would be the Dolomites, Bologna, Lake Garda ...

'Can you get on and off the train with one ticket, or do you have to buy a ticket for each leg of the trip that day?'

You can get on and off ... within a limited time-frame (- usually 6 hrs for journeys up to about 150/200 km).
Your ticket will say ... 'validita 6 ore'

[So for example if you do a trip to Verona leaving Venice at 8a.m., you could get off for a few hrs at Vicenza or Padova - as long as you complete your journey to Verona by 2p.m].

In Verona I prefer to jump on a bus to the centre - Piazza Bra. Most other stations are within walking distance of the centre.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 06:25 AM

My husband and I love Verona. It is a very compact small city, and you can walk everywhere.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 06:56 AM
yk

For Padua - the train station is about a 5 to 10 min walk to the main sights

For Verona, it's a little bit farther. We took a bus from the train station to the old city center.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 07:27 AM

This is a very helpful thread. Thanks to all.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 08:13 AM
ira

Hi M,

www.bahn.de will list the intermediate stops.

www.viamichelin.com will let you plot the route.

It costs almost the same to buy a ticket from A to B and another from B to C as it does a ticket from A to C, and you don't have to worry about the time.

Old Sep 15th, 2007, 09:11 AM

with only one week i can't imagine leaving venice at all quite honestly
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info and advice.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 06:13 AM

Thanks for this post. I have a day trip in mind also for our next trip and the links will be very helpful.