Day trips from Venice

Jul 26th, 2003, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Day trips from Venice

I'll be in Venice shortly with my two kids (ages 12 and 14) for about a week. I want to take a day trip or two out of the city - we will do one day in Verona, but I'm having trouble deciding whether we should also go to Vicenza (I've been there, loved it for the architecture and so on, but am not sure if it would be as fun for the kids.) Also considering Padua (I remember enjoying the Giottos and the Teatro Anatomico there years ago, but can't remember much about the city itself.) I've never been to Treviso - it's very close, but worth visiting? Anyone have any other ideas for a day trip?

I want it to be somewhere fairly easily accessible by train from Venice (no more than about 2 hrs each way) and possible to see on foot once we're there. Pleasant piazzas/streets to stroll, colorful markets, a little art, a little lunch...all suggestions appreciated.
Jul 26th, 2003, 04:33 AM

Treviso is a delightful town - one of the nicest in Veneto IMO - and makes a very easy trip from Venice (20-30 mins).

The islands of Venice themselves are well worth a trip - Burano especially. If you want some time on a beach, the island of Lido is close by, - as is the resort of Jesolo.

Other possibilities might be Bassano del Grappa, Asolo, Trieste ...

You could also spend a day on Lake Garda (- or you could combine it with Verona if you make an early start).

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Jul 26th, 2003, 07:24 AM
DRJ

You may consider a boat trip on the Brenta Canal to visit Palladio's villas. Either a full or half day. There are a couple of lines. Try a search for Brenta.
Jul 26th, 2003, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We were planning to go to the other islands (Burano, Lido) - sounds like Treviso is definitely worth a look too.

Re a boat trip down the Brenta...I've been to many of the Palladio villas before, but it was a long time ago and not by boat, so this might be fun for all of us. Does anyone know what town this sort of trip would originate in? Padua? Which line/company is does the best job and/or how much it costs? Meantime - thanks for the suggestions and I'll do a search.
Jul 26th, 2003, 04:12 PM

The cathedral in Padua (St. Anthony's) has his tongue, vocal cords, and lower jaw on display, along with other relics. Needless to say, this was one of the highlights of our whole trip for my 13-year-old!
Jul 26th, 2003, 08:26 PM

Consider a boat trip to the small seaport town of Chioggia. It's accessibe by train, but I'm told that's a long ride. By boat, you would have to take the vaporetto to Lido and then get on another boat from there, with possibly another boat change en route, maybe not. I think it's just under 2 hours one way. Might be fun for the kids, especially if the weather's hot (likely). Do a search here on Chioggia and you should be able to bring up Elvira's post from 2-3 years ago (title has something about Ham Tacos in it). Been meaning to get there myself for a day; maybe next spring.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 07:19 AM

near the garda lake there are some parks for kids (www.gardaland or acqatic park canevaworld). very funny for the kids, I remember...20 years ago