Day Trips from Venice

Old May 26th, 2001, 06:18 PM
Ralph

Day Trips from Venice

Hello everyone. We will be spending 6 days in Venice in July and wondering if we should be exploring any of the surrounding cities as well by train and what recommendations people would have. Should we put Verona on our 'must see' list?
Cheers,
Ralph

Old May 26th, 2001, 11:21 PM
Surlok

Yes, definetely put Verona on your "must see" list. Make it to Garda, Sirmione, too, if you can. Also Bassano di Grappa is lovely, as is Treviso, although a little bigger. There's also Padova, and Ferrara, which I didn't find particularly interesting.

Old May 27th, 2001, 08:44 AM
elaine

www.boglewood.com/palladio/map.html for map and list of Palladian villas on Brenta Canal. There is a Brenta Canal boat that stops at several of the villas, as well as a city bus. Fodor's poster elvira especially recommended the Villa Pisani in Stra. There are elaborate stables, a house, and a wonderful maze on the beautiful grounds. Good gift shop.
tour boats: www.deltatour.it
also www.antoniana.it/individuali-i.html

http://goeurope.about.com/travel/
goeurope/library/planner/
blp_venice_sights_culture.htm

http://ville.inews.it/eintro.htm
A company that provides daytrip tours in vans with no more than 8 passengers: Avventure Bellissime, via Villanova 27, Pordenone 33170 phone 0039 0434 573275 Fax (0039) 0434 510616
Email - [email protected]
This company was recommended by a reader in International Travel News Feb 2001 They have a 3-day walking tour of the Dolomites, a one-day Hills of Veneto Tour, and a one-day Villas of Palladio tour. They provide a good picnic lunch and tours are conducted in English.

Old May 27th, 2001, 11:50 AM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Ralph
Verona is a very good day trip out of
Venice. Padua is also an excellant half day trip with the Church of S. Anthony and the Scrovengi Chappel.
If yoiu have a car and time, the Dolomites, Cortina D'Ampezzo is in
a very beautiful mountianous area.
Torcello and Chioggia by boat out of
Venice. Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Old May 28th, 2001, 08:53 PM
mike

Definitely add Verona to your list.
Wonderful!

Old May 29th, 2001, 06:28 AM
elvira

Southwest of Venice is Chioggia, a mini-Venice sans tourists but with cars and bicycles. You can reach it by land bus or water bus. Good restaurants, lovely shopping, pretty churches and buildings.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 03:01 PM
kristen

Just topping this old post to hear more about day trips from venice. We will be there 5 nights and are wondering about some nice day trips. Verona is a no-brainer, but what about a lake-region day trip? Too ambitious?

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 08:06 AM
aaa

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Wayne

Honestly, it just doesn't make sense to me to stay in Venice and take day trips out of there. As an alternative, I suggest you stay in Venice a shorter amount of time, and don't take day trips. Three days would be about right. Then go somewhere else (Verona, Padova, Sirmione, to name a few) and stay there the other 3 days, taking day trips from there if you wish. It is just a shame to see someone paying for a hotel in downtown Venice and then leaving the city for somewhere else. Of course, if you are already committed because of business, coordinating with others, or some other reason that means it is mandatory to be in Venice for 6 days, then I suppose 2-3 days of day trips might be the only answer. Otherwise, save some money and stay in another city for part of your trip, taking day trips from there.