Day trips from Rome??

Jan 20th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Day trips from Rome??

This is our first time in Italy and have NO idea of what day trips to take, while in Rome. Any advice???
Jan 20th, 2007, 11:39 AM

If you do a search on this forum, I believe there is a whole discussion thread regarding this subject. I think it is "Easy side trips from Rome" or something like that.
Jan 20th, 2007, 12:04 PM

You don't say how long your trip is. If only a week, I would suggest staying in Rome since there is so much to see and do. If longer, you might consider Orvieto, Ostia Antica, Tivoli for Villa D'Este and Hadrian's Villa. You could even take a very early train to Florence, but would have to limit the visit to only a couple of things to see.
Jan 20th, 2007, 12:09 PM

Orvieto. so quick and easy by train. Great food and amazing views.
Jan 20th, 2007, 01:35 PM

There is a marvelous book that can be purchased at Borders or Barnes and Noble called DAYTRIPS ITALY by Earl Steinbicker. It has 40 different trips within Italy with a section on Rome (including walking tours) that offers daytrip ideas complete with info on trains,buses,or car maps and how to get to the particular city. Included in it is everything from Rome with regards to Tivoli,Pompeii,Orevieto,etc. I have used this series both for Italy and also for England,France and Belgium and its wonderful for a "cliff note" type info chapter on various nearby towns and cities to visit and how to go about it.Have fun!