Day trips from Paris

Search

Day trips from Paris

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trips from Paris

My husband and I will be in Paris for two weeks Sept. 22-Oct. 5. We spent a week in Paris last April and are anxious to see more of the city, but, in addition to a day trip to Giverny, want to make at least 3 day trips (preferably 2 hrs or less train trips - might consider a longer train ride if there's nice scenery along the way) to other cities. These cities don't necessarily need to have one major attraction (such as a cathedral or chateau); we're more looking for cities that have a distinct charm, some nice shops and restaurants, and are easy to get around in without transportation. A few places we've considered are Auvers-sur-Oise, Chartres, Reims, Honfleur. Any other suggestions or comments on these choices? We'd like a combination of 3 that would give us more of a sense of the country.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Take a 2 hour train ride to Deauville. It has prime shops, beautiful beach, great restaurants and you can walk from the train station everywhere. I think it's Friday and Saturday that they have an open market right in the middle of town. Walk across a bridge and you are in Tourville. Walk towards the left, there are very old streets to wander up and down.
We had stayed with friends there a couple of times, but 2 weeks ago we were in Paris and decided to do this on a whim and had a lovely time.
Also can go to Rheims or Fontenbleu.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 02:56 AM

Look at the www.parisvision.com site. Check all excursions and then go the the minivan only excursions. The minivan way is the best way...no large buses!

They have quite a variety of trips...you can do a trip to Champagne country, Provins..or go to Normandy. If you have never done the 2 hr. evening Illuminations trip, you might enjoy it.

Enjoy............
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 04:22 AM
schuba

I would definitely go to Normandy if you are into WWII.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 05:02 AM
ira

Hi Vanne,

Auxerre is a lovely town about 1:40 hr from Paris by train.

Troyes, which we had planned to visit but didn't get to, is 1:25 hr by train.

The TGVEst will be starting in June. You can be in Strasbourg in 2:19 hr.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 06:04 AM

I would recommend Angers. From Montparnasse it is less than two hours and the train station in Angers is well located within three blocks of the Chateau de Angers and the old part of the city. The older party of the city is beautiful and there is plenty of shopping available in the old and the new part of the city. There are also a couple beautiful gardens with in walking distance. Many restaurants to choose from. This is one of my favorite cities. Here are some pictures I took a few years ago: http://travel.webshots.com/album/975...nfo/AlbumTitle
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 06:59 AM

We enjoyed Reims and Troyes when we did a driving tour of Champagne last summer. Troyes has a charming historic centre, full of half-timbered buildings. The Museum of Tools is fascinating. The museum's founder was interested in the social history of artisans and wanted to support them. The museum presents their life and their tools in a vivid and very attractive way. There's also a lovely medieval medical garden in the courtyard of the building where the museum is located.

We much preferred Reims to Epernay. The cathedral has some interesting stained glass windows designed by Chagall. The Surrender Museum is well worth the visit (it's located in the building that contained the real war room where the Germans surrendered in WWII). There is an Art Deco walking tour that you can do; there was a lot of damage to the city in WWI and so there were a number of fine, new buildings constructed in the 20s and 30s. And, of course, there are tours of champagne houses. Some require you to book ahead, and others are on a drop-in basis. We didn't have a luck with meals (too touristy), but otherwise enjoyed the city a lot.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Randy,

Thanks for your pictures. The pictures of Jardin Des Plantes are lovely. I am in the middle of planning my last minute trip to Paris in May and I will make it a point to go to Angers. I know my husband will love this garden.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 08:36 AM

We shall travel to Paris this May. We shall be there for 15 days, and we shall make some day trips. We plan to make also some day trips;
- Chantilly
- Vincennse
- Malmaison
- St Germain en Laye
- Rambouillet
- Vaux-le-vicomte
- Reims

We shall visit also:
- Bois de Boulogne
- St Denis

Some years ago, we visited (like day trips):
- Versailles
- Rouen
- Chartres
- Fontainbleu
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 09:49 AM

Hi Vanne,

I highly recommend all of these towns below, just an hour or so by train from Paris.

Chantilly and Senis(Gare Du Nord- 30 minutes)

Crecy-la-Chapelle (Gare de l'Est- 55 minutes)

Montfort-l'Amaury (Gare de Montparnasse- 40 minutes)

Provins (Gare de l'Est- 1 hr 15 minutes)

Sceaux (St Michel Norte Dame- 15 minutes)

Once you arrive in Paris, stop by Brentano's bookstore and pick up a copy of Annabel Simms book "An Hour from Paris". I discovered this book during a 6 week visit to Paris and found it to be the best 26 euros I have ever spent. She provides detailed transportation information, walking itineraries, history and tourist info, and restaurant recommendation for each destination. There are 21 destinations listed in the book. I have highlighted above some of my favorites.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for so many great ideas of towns I wasn't familiar with and will now consider.
Ira, from having been on this board for the past year, I know you have lots of experience and will definitely check out your recommendations!
Zoecat, thanks for the book recommendation -- probably many of these cities will be included and having the book would really help to get the most out of our visits!
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 08:28 AM
fleur_de_lis

Auvers-sur-Oise is a wonderful choice. I live in Paris and just took a day trip there with my husband. We loved it. It's simple and so rich in history.

Another day trip from Paris I've made and enjoyed was to Provins (a UNESCO World Heritage Site), known for its medieval fortifications . You can learn more about it here http://www.provins.net/anglais/default.htm (I wrote the address once but for some reason it's being repeated and separated by these symbols...click on the SECOND link. The 1st one doesn't work)

My next day trip will be Giverny, which is definately worth visiting.

All these 3 small towns are less than 2 hours from Paris. You can get to them by train and just walk as you get there. All of them offer you a break from the city chaos.

Hope I helped!

Have a wonderful trip

Old Aug 24th, 2007, 08:41 AM
fleur_de_lis

Forgot to mention: Fontainebleau and Chantilly are also great places to visit...and not far from Paris.

Old Aug 24th, 2007, 08:42 AM
fleur_de_lis

Well, it seems like the link I wrote on my 1st message is working now

Old Aug 24th, 2007, 11:02 AM

bookmarking