day trips from paris

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 03:38 PM
sandy

day trips from paris

hi,

i am going to paris in october for 6 nights.
besides versailles what area outside of paris would make a great and reasonably priced day trip. i will have the paris plus metro pass covering all 5 zones. (if this helps with expense any).

thanks
sandy

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 03:43 PM
lisa

I was just there and took daytrips to both Chartres and Giverny -- both were very inexpensive to get to, and wonderful. My favorite daytrip from Paris (on a previous trip) was to the Loire Valley chateaux, but that definitely costs more. To be honest, if money is an issue and you only have 6 days there and are already going to Versailles one day (which is great), I think I would happily spend the rest of the time in Paris if I were you. There is so much to see and do -- I've been 3 times and still haven't gotten to do everything I want in Paris. Fontainebleau was another daytrip on my list this time that I did not get to -- oh well, I'll just have to go back!

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 04:52 PM
Bob Brown

I thought Vaux le Vicomte was the most perfect blend of architecture, engineering, interior design and decorating, and landscaping that I have yet seen. We took a day bus tour that got us to both Fontainebleau and Vaux le Vicomte in one day. I enjoyed the trip and would like to return to both places.

Fontainebleau is laden with history; it was among other things Napolean's residence.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 05:28 PM
kam

Fontainebleau, Giverney and Chartres are the three we've most enjoyed. Others on our list but that we've not gotten to as yet are Moret-sur-Loing and Bayeux to see the fabulous tapestry. Oh, and Chantilly that we went to is a 30 minute ride from Paris and you can get to Reims to see the awesome cathedral by train. French friends tell us we must go to Rouen sometime as well.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 06:58 PM
Sue

Skip Versailles - others may disagree but I found it cold and lifeless. Yes I know the history, but after experiencing it twice, a picture book would have done just as well.

Try Chartres and go when Malcolm Miller is there giving tours - twice a day. The cathedral is an easy trip on the train, and an easy walk from the station. A big plus is it's right next to a medieval area section of the city. Mr. Miller makes it all come alive. He has devoted his life to the story of the cathedral and it's magnificent windows.

Good luck.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 09:57 PM
Taylor

We spent 8 nts in Paris and took 2 daytrips in addition to travelling to Versailles on our own. We went to the Normandy D-Day Beaches for a day and the Loire Valley for the day. Both tours were exactly as described and met our expectations and interests. The Normandy tour was booked thru True France and b/c we were the only folks booked thru them that day Hans put us on the Paris Vision minibus tour similar to the one we booked with him. The tour was great and included the main sights and a fabulous Normandy farmhouse lunch w/wines. Our Loire minivan trip with Paris Bus included pickup/drop off, a RT TGV ride to Tours, guide who drove us to Clos Luce, Chenonceau and Chambord and provided commentary on the way, lunch and a visit to a small vineyard for tasting. If you want more info e-mail me or post a message here. Vaux le Vicomte lloks lovely - we just did not have time to get there too.