Reload this Page >

Day trips from Paris

Search

Day trips from Paris

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2001, 03:31 PM
Diann

Day trips from Paris

I am going to Paris in July for 8-9 days and want to do some side trip(s). I read the thread posted here about the pro's and cons of Versailles... what do any of you think of any of these: <BR> Chartres, Giverny, Lille, Reims, Chantilly???

Old May 5th, 2001, 05:04 AM
Tammy

If this is your first trip to Paris, then I would definitely go to Versaille. Try to go on a Sunday when they turn on the fountains in the gardens. It makes for a wonderful day. They might even turn the fountains on a Saturday. <BR> <BR>I have not been to Giverny or Lille, so I can't speak for those two places. <BR> <BR>The main attraction in Chartres is the cathedral. It wonderful, and if you can, take the guided tour (I didn't have a chance to do that). Also, climb to the top and get a wonderful view of the town and countryside. The town is also nice, and a lot different from the hustle and bustle of Paris. Chartres is only about a 90 minute train ride from Paris. <BR> <BR>Reims is about a 2 hour train ride from Paris. For a day trip you'll have a chance to see about two different champaigne caves. I definitely recommend the Taittengier tour, extremely information, with a film, an english speaking guide, and tasting at the end of the tour. While in Reims, visit the cathedral where the kings of France were crowned. <BR> <BR>Tammy

Old May 5th, 2001, 06:09 PM
dsrejt

Day trips: <BR>Senlis <BR>Rouen <BR>Provins <BR>Chantilly <BR>Fere en Tarendois combined with Reims <BR>Barbizon, Fontainebleau et le foret de Fontainbleau

Old May 5th, 2001, 06:21 PM
Bob Brown

My vote is for Vaux le Vicomte. <BR>As an example of the complete integration of design, decorating, engineering, and landscaping, it is a beautiful structure. <BR>It is near the town of Melun. <BR>The three men who designed and built Vaux are the same three who were "requested" by Louis XIV to build Versailles. <BR>Vaux is much more tastefully executed. <BR>

Old May 5th, 2001, 07:06 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Hard to argue against a visit to Vaux and the grounds are lovely, as Bob points out. An argument in favor of Fountainbleau is that there is a community surrouding it where you can enjoy restaurants, cafes & shops as well. Vaux le Vicomte is a bit down the road from Melun and Melun itself has a different character from the community of Fountainbleau. I'm not saying I dislike Melun because that is not the case, I'm thinking that beyond the chateaus themselves which are quite different and both well worth seeing, many visitors would prefer Fountainbleau in terms of the convenience of how things are situated.

Old May 6th, 2001, 05:57 PM
a

Hornfluer, Quimper, La Rochelle

Old May 8th, 2001, 12:20 AM
nudge

Message: hi there, <BR>have a look at http://paris.nethotels.com/packages/front.htm <BR> <BR>they have over 20 different tours online bookable, and can pick you up from your hotel if needed. <BR> <BR>we used them to go to givernchy last september, and they were good. <BR> <BR>good luck <BR> <BR>nudge <BR> <BR>

Old May 8th, 2001, 06:20 AM
Bob Brown

Fontainebleau is a history laden place and has its own lavish design and furnishings. Napoleon lived there when he was not off on some campaign. <BR>Every French ruler who came to Fontainebleau tried to leave his own indelible stamp on the place. <BR> <BR>Vaux le Vicomte is out a ways. But the restaurant associated with the place is not bad, even though it has a captive audience. <BR> <BR>The pros of Versailles is that it is laden with history and gaudy beyond belief. The gardens are lovely. The major drawback is the huge number of people surging through the open areas. <BR> <BR>I have read different strategies for visiting Versailles. Some writers suggest going about 2 hours before closing in hopes the tour groups will be gone. I know the sheer body count was formidable when I was there. We went early, actually arriving about the time the ticket window opened. For about 20 minutes we had relatively few people around us. Then the tour bus groups started arriving and the rooms and hallways became packed. The Hall of Mirrors was so jammed that it was hard to exit to the last couple of rooms. <BR>

Old May 8th, 2001, 08:32 AM
StCirq

My vote would be for Vaux-le-Vicomte also, but there's no denying the magic of Versailles - it depends on what scale of wealth and ornament you prefer. Don't discount Auvers-sur-Oise, either, or Giverny (but be aware it is not a place for those looking to see Monet paintings, but rather lovely gardens and the rather modest house he lived in). Chartres to me is an absolute must-see, especially if Malcolm Miller is available to give a tour. And just in case you had a mind to follow up a's suggestions, Honfleur, La Rochelle, and Quimper are not possible daytrips from Paris.

Old May 8th, 2001, 08:49 AM
Bob Brown

As usual, StCirq has identified some very worthwhile places to go. <BR>Her observations about Giverny are astute. Although it is not a day trip, Monet fans should visit Musee Marmottan. <BR>It is in the 16th Arr. and well away from "touristy" Paris.

Old May 8th, 2001, 07:08 PM
Lauren

In 8-9 days in Paris I would basically concentrate on Paris itself. My recommendations for day trips would be Versailles, Chartes & Giverny. There are other possible daytrips such as Vaux-le-Vicompte, Provins, Malmaison, Fontainebleu, etc. You need to do some research and then decide what you want to do. You will not be able to do it all in 9 days. That is why you have to keep going back to Paris.

Old May 12th, 2001, 06:34 AM
Kathy

My favorite side trips from Paris were Chartres and Giverny. Chartres cathedral is spectacular, but it's worth the trip just to walk around the surrounding village. Also, Giverny was one of our favorite days. We were there in April and the gardens were amazing. If it's charm you're looking for, skip Versaille and do Chartes.

Old May 13th, 2001, 01:16 AM
clairobscur

Concerning the places you listed : <BR> <BR>I'd choose Chartres over Reims any day (apart if you're interested in champagne, that is) <BR> <BR>Chantilly and Giverny are certainly worth the visit. <BR> <BR>I don't think Lille has much to offer from a touristic point of view.