Reload this Page >

Ireland-Latest Update on attractions and events OPEN to the public

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 11:55 AM
Grainne

Having read out posts there seems to be soe confusion over what is open and closed in Ireland. A case of foot & mouth disease has been confirmed on the Cooley Peninsula, Co. Louth on the northeastern border with Northern Ireland on the 22nd March. This is a secondary outbreak within the already existing exclusion zone of the case found a few kilometres away in Northern Ireland. <BR> <BR>Many attractions are open to the public - visitors and Irish people alike hwoever they are asking for co-operation to ensure that the disease does not spread. While people cannot contract the disease they can carry it on their clothing and footwear. It should not be confused with BSE. <BR> <BR>In order to ensure that the spread of Foot and Mouth disease is contained, all visitors are being asked to co-operate fully with the advice and recommendations of the Department of Agriculture and other Official bodies. <BR> <BR>There are no people visitor restrictions into the country.Disinfectant procedures are in place at air and ferry ports. However, there is a ban on the importation of livestock, cattle, sheep, pigs, goats, greyhounds, working dogs (domestic dogs at present excluded) and horses. <BR> <BR>A small number of tourist facilities have been temporarily closed and a number of <BR>events and activities have been postponed or cancelled. However the cities and pubs are still opne and Irish eyes while not smiling are still welcoming.There continues to be plenty of enjoyable things to see and do <BR>while in Ireland. <BR> <BR>An update on attractions and events OPEN to the public is available at www.ireland.travel.ie. This is more up to date than any other listings. <BR> <BR> Accommodation <BR>Hotels and guesthouses, other than those who normally operate only in the summer season, are generally open for business throughout the country. <BR> <BR>Most accommodation providers are open for business as usual in urban areas. However some rural based properties may be restricting where they take visitors from. You should check with the property owner that the premises is open to visitors. in particularly in the case of Farmhouse B&Bs. <BR> <BR>As a precautionary measure National parks and forests countrywide have been closed. Farm visits are also discouraged. Most visitor attractions have now confirmed that they are open to the public, an exception to this <BR>would be Dublin Zoo and Phoenix Park Visitor Centre. <BR> <BR>All Dublin sites including The National Gallery of Ireland, Book of Kells, The Guinness Storehouse, Hugh Lane Gallery <BR>Irish Museum of Modern Art, St Patrick’s Cathedral,Dublin Castle and many others. <BR> <BR>In the Shannon region most attractions are open now including Bunratty Castle & Folk Park, King John’s Castle and other main attractions in the region and surrounding counties are also open including Rock of Cashel. <BR> <BR>Along the East and South East court The Waterford Crystal Visitor Centre and The Powerscourt House and Gardens are open, however hillwalking is discouraged in the Wicklow Mts. For those interested in Castles - Kilkenny Castle is open. <BR> <BR>In the West people are actively discouraged from walking through the countryside however fishing is possible - check with the B&B owner or local Fisheries Board - as long as you do not walk through farmland to get to the water ie leaving from jetties is OK. Galway Irish Crystal Heritage Centre is just one of th amny things open. <BR> <BR>In the South West the hill walking story is the same but in Cobh – The Queenstown Story and the Jameson Heritage Centre at the Midleton Distillery are open. <BR> <BR>For further details and a full list of what is closed and open check with www.ireland.travel.ie. <BR> <BR>Slan, <BR> <BR>Grainne <BR>

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 02:18 PM
xxx

Thanks for the information Grainne. Very useful. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 02:25 PM
Thyra

Yes, thanks! Although we are not planning on Eire this year, my heart has been quite sad for all the people heading over there especially if it is there first trip.How great to hear about the positive things!

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 02:42 PM
Ger

Gura mile maith agat, Grainne. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 02:43 PM
Cathy

Grainne, <BR>Nice summary. It is quite important that the correct information is available as the media sites don't seem to be as up to date as the Tourist Board one. Some of international media reports are very general and have made some glaring mistakes with reference to F&M in the UK and Ireland and Europe in general. For anyone concerned with travel to Ireland keep checking www.ireland.travel.ie. for updates or the government web site at www.irlgov.ie <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Cathy

Up to the top for Mary

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Jane

Grainne, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the up-to-date info. My husband, my daughter and I are making our first trip out of the US to Ireland. It has been my "dream vacation" for my whole life. Although I am disappointed that we will be inconvienienced somewhat, my heart breaks when I think of the impact this could have on Ireland. <BR>We will fly into Heathrow on April 18th, spend the morning and better part of the afternoon there (at the airport), and fly into Cork. Most of the places we have planned to stay in Ireland are rural, not farms, but not cities. We are staying in Kilbrittain Castle, Killarney, Dingle, and then back to Blarney. We are renting a car in Cork, and planning to take in all we can in a very short time. <BR>I read the Fodor's Ireland site every day. <BR> <BR>Thanks again, Jane <BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 11:00 AM
mary

Does anyone have any idea how long the hoof and mouth outbreak and precautions are expected to last? We are planning a trip the end of May/beginning of June and wonder if we need to worry about closures and restrictions. <BR>Thanks.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Amanda

WARNING!!! <BR>My husband and I were to be in Ireland from March 13-30, and cancelled our trip due to all the Foot and Mouth related closures. The tourist board claims that only a small number of historical sites are closed, but in fact, ALL NATIONAL HERITAGE SITES are CLOSED. Before following through with your travel plans to Ireland, visit http://www.heritageireland.ie/ first. Check out the list of the sites they maintain, and then decide whether it is best to put the trip off for another time. <BR> <BR>Good Luck, <BR>Amanda

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 02:46 PM
Cathy

Amanda, <BR> <BR>Grainne's post was meant to clear up the confusion not add to it.You should check your facts before posting - all sites WERE closed around the St Patrick's day period but most were re-opened on the week of March 23rd. By now the vast majority of tourist and visitor attractions are open excluding the Zoo and some National Parks. <BR> <BR>The only major areas closed are National Parks ie the Mountains and Lakes and this is to prevent people spreading the virus through the mountains. Grainne, correctly states that most sites are open and lists those that are including Kilkenny Castle, Bunratty etc. <BR> <BR>An update list is available from the Irish Tourist Board at www.ireland.travel <BR> <BR>Cathy <BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 02:52 PM
Cathy

PS <BR> <BR>The correct address is www.heritageireland.com not .ie <BR> <BR>CAthy

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 08:16 AM
IrelandTraveler

My husband and I returned from 10 days in Ireland late last week. We had a glorious time -- it was our first visit to Ireland -- but we were rather disappointed at the number of attractions that were still closed.<BR><BR>Shame on Irish tourism representatives for touting that "Ireland is open for business" and that all of the "important" sites are reopening.<BR><BR>Yes, many of the "big" sites, like Rock of Cashel and everything in Dublin, were open. But we were more interested in the smaller sites -- the ruins of 12th-century abbeys or old castles by the side of the road, etc. And just about ALL of these were still closed, at least as of last Wednesday.<BR><BR>So be warned: If you're going to Ireland primarily to visit cities, you'll be fine. But who does that? The thrill of Ireland, at least for us, was the ability to see centuries-old sites, up close and personal. We still had a wonderful time, but I'd hate to think that anyone might be planning an archaeological-site trip thinking that they'll be in the clear -- because they could end up disappointed.

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 01:55 PM
just back 2

I also just got back from Ireland. I read what is posted on the Irish Tourist board site before I left. No Where did it say every thing was opened. They heve a list of what they had confirmed open not a list of what's closed.<BR><BR>the folowing are some quotes from the<BR><BR>(1) Heritage sites around Ireland, where there has been no livestock since the 1st February have re-opened to the public. Sites that have animals nearby or adjacent are closed.<BR><BR>(2) Many smaller sites do not open year round. Usually open at Easter.<BR><BR>(3) Many sites along the side of the road are on private property and the tourist board site clearly states that walking should be confined to paved paths.<BR><BR>So I feel they didn't lie. I knew before I left that the Cliffs of Moher had reopened but not the several mile walking path along the cliffs that the site said was still closed. Also it is their job to sell the country so they have to do that

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 03:47 PM
Cathy

To Irish traveller <BR>Last Wednesday is a long time in the battle aginst the spread of F&amp;M. Each day new places are re-opening or as the previous poster pointed out many will be opening for the season as we come close to Easter. <BR><BR>Do remember that many sites are on reduced opening times or do not open in the winter and low season and that many have not bothered opening in the last month or so due to the F&amp;M crisis. Several of these sites are now open, see the relevant tourist board sites. <BR><BR>In addition just remember that not all ruins and castles on agricultural land are there for people to walk up to and see them. Many are on private property and therefore it is at the discretion of the landowner that you are allowed on to the property. For a full list of what is open and closed you should read http://www.ireland.travel.ie or follow the relevant links from the irish Government web site at http://www.irlgov.ie. Private properties are not the responsibility of the Tourist board or Duchas - the official Government body responsible for heritage sites.<BR><BR>Should Ireland be given the all clear then life will return to nomrality by mid-April. There is a general feeling that while it is not good from the visitor's point of view and those who work in the industry that some pain at this stage will prevent a lot more later should the F&amp;M virus spread like wildfire in Ireland. Irish people are watching with anxiety and pity the situation as it develops in England, Wales and Scotland and are anxious to avoid that. So while I am sorry that your trip was not all that you wanted it to be do remember that the battle against F&amp;M must be won despite people's comforts.<BR><BR>The Irish government web site and the Tourist Board web site are updated daily on the Prime Minister's instructions and there is also several other web sites that contain detailed information on F&amp;M and the situation in Ireland.<BR><BR>Hope this helps clear up the situation,<BR><BR>Cathy

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 07:15 AM
IrishTraveler

Re: Cathy's posting <BR> <BR>Don't get me wrong -- we completely understand why the majority of the sites were closed when we visited Ireland. We were probably even more cautious than we would have had to be -- we changed our itinerary and stayed at in-town B&Bs instead of at farmhouses, as we had planned, because we wanted to make sure we weren't doing anything that might spread the disease. <BR> <BR>Our primary complaint was this: We felt that tourism officials, in their (understandable) desire to attract visitors, weren't completely up-front about the situation. We understand that many of the sites that were closed weren't state-run sites -- but many of them were. (Of the dozens of Duchas sites included on the official Duchas map, only a handful -- maybe five -- outside of Dublin were open while we were there.) <BR> <BR>I don't blame Ireland for closing sites. I just wish the Web sites we consulted before taking our trip had spelled out in greater detail what we would and wouldn't be able to do. As first-time visitors to Ireland, we had no idea that there would be so many "small" sites to see, so we read the Web sites' reassurances to mean that everything was open -- when, in fact, it was just the major sites.

Old May 12th, 2001, 01:44 PM
Edmond O`Flaherty

The national parks are now open again and everything is returning to normal.

Old May 13th, 2001, 02:35 AM
Cathy

Ireland is open again with GREAT weather at the moment - Irish people are getting sun tans without having to leave the country and the flowers are dying of the thirst - a week or more of sunshine and hot weather <BR> <BR>Cathy