Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

day trips from Edinburgh for beautiful scenery?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 02:09 PM
cecille

I will be in Edinburgh for 4 days (Jan 18-22) and I would like to see the beautiful scenery scotland has to offer. I know I am going in the wrong time but this is the only time I can go. IS there mountains, lakes, waterfalls, cave.... you get the picture?

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Joe

Yes, try Prestige Tours.<BR><BR>www.prestigetours.com

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Grasshopper

I loved the town of St. Andrews. Also, we drove to Loch Lomand which was very pretty.

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 01:44 AM
Sheila

Sure Cecille, there's lots to see. If you email me, I'll send you some suggested day trips. The response may be slightly delyaed since I have

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 01:50 AM
Sheila

Sorry, premature pressing of button....<BR><BR>the sentence should have finished "computer problems"

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 02:54 AM
janis

Your choices will be more limited because you are going in January. Many of the commercial tours either don't run in January or run reduced schedules. Tours are available from the Tourist Information Centers - the biggest/best one is at Waverly Station. If what you want isn't offered on the days you have available - the TIC can hook you up with a local driver <BR><BR>Of you could rent a car for the day. But I would only recommend this if you have driven in the UK before - The weather and short days will make it a little harder to get around.<BR><BR>A nearby trip with great scenery/lochs/waterfalls is the general Trossachs - Loch Lomond area. In fact this is the frist National Park in Scotland.<BR><BR>On a day out from Edinburgh you could see at least two beautiful waterfalls (Leny & Branklin) near Callander, Loch Lomond and as many other lochs as you have time for, and maybe even Stirling Castle.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Patricia

I just came back from Scotland (6 days) and the most beautiful place I visited in there is the Urquhart Castle at the Loch Ness banks.<BR><BR>It's really worth it!!! It should be around 3,5 hours from Edinburgh.<BR><BR>Or, another option, is the Stirling Castle. Another beautiful place filled with history!! and much closer.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:14 AM
curt

A day trip that we really enjoyed (just last week) was to drive across the Forth Bridge, then along the northen shore of the Firth of Forth up to St. Andrews. We stopped in each of the neat towns, really fishing villages, along the way and it was quite beautiful. You can have a nice pub lunch along the way. St. Andrews is very nice, famous for golf, but the university is wonderful and the cathedral ruins awesome. A great day trip if you have a car.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 10:06 AM
janis

cecille: Don't try any long day trips in January - for instance the one Patricia recommends to Loch Ness. In Mid January there will only be about 8 hours of day light in Edinburgh and less the farther north you go. Just driving to Urquhart Castle and back will take up that. A great day trip In September is a whole different story in Dec/Jan.<BR><BR>The trip curt mentions to Fife and the fishing villages is great - but there are none of the mountains, lochs, waterfalls you mentioned you want to see. Fife would actually be my first choice - but it would be for coastal scenery, villages.<BR><BR>If Lochs and waterfalls is what you want then the trossachs region is really the best because of the short days and travel time you'll have