day trips from Dublin

Search

day trips from Dublin

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2019, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
day trips from Dublin

Has anyone used Paddywagon tours for a daytrip? Looking to go to Galway. any other ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks
Old May 3rd, 2019, 11:54 AM

You could easily day trip to nearby Sandy Cove beach with one of the famous Martello Towers - built along the coast as defensive outposts - and the Martello Tower James Joyce was staying in when he wrote Portrait of the Artist as a young man:

James Joyce Tower & Museum | Sandycove Dublin Ireland

Bring a picnic.

Trains are easy for Galway and once there you could rent a car to tour the Connemmara or take excursions or buses there from Galway.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 03:32 PM

We took only one Paddywagon tour from Limerick to the Cliffs of Moher and it was horrible. The bus was stuffy, the driver, who was supposed to serve as a guide as well, was simply laughable, the only good thing about this tour was ample time to explore magnificent Cliffs of Moher (we had almost three hours of free time).

Our day trip from Dublin was entirely different story. We took a trip to Wicklow Mountains and Glendalough Lakes with Wild Wicklow Tours and this tour was picture perfect. Our driver was the absolute best guide - funny, witty, very knowledgeable and incredibly helpful. We rode in a small bus which was very comfortable and cozy. I highly recommend taking a tour with Wild Wicklow Tours - you will not regret.
Old May 4th, 2019, 03:23 AM

Glendalough is my favorite day trip from Dublin. Village is just lovely. If you plan to stay overnight try Carmella’s bed and breakfast.Powers Court is also a very nice day trip
Old May 4th, 2019, 03:56 AM

In Galway, we took an excellent tour of Kylemore Abbey and Connemara with Galway Tour Company. We had plenty of free time to enjoy gorgeous Victorian walled gardens of Kylemore Abbey and a nice lunch there. Two more highlights of this tour are Village of Cong with very atmospheric ruins of Cong Abbey and beautiful Abbey of Ross Errily ruins nearby.

Last edited by vinonobile987; May 4th, 2019 at 04:03 AM.
Old May 5th, 2019, 06:02 AM

Thank you, Vinobile! I just added Abbey of Ross Errily to
my itinerary in two weeks. Never knew it existed.
Old May 5th, 2019, 06:46 AM

You are very welcome, Linda! Abbey of Ross Errily is truly remarkable: romantic Abbey ruins proudly stand alone in the middle of a boundless green field, literally in the middle of nowhere... Incredibly mysterious and thought provoking sight to see.
Old May 6th, 2019, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I noticed there are a couple of companies that do the galway tour from Dublin. It would save us a lot of time if we did the tour. I will look into the train and then take the bus in Galway.
We plan on about three daytrips so all the advice is very helpful.
Old May 7th, 2019, 07:22 AM

We used Paddywagon twice from Dublin. First to Belfast and Giants Causeway. Very long day (over 12 hours) but well worth it. 2nd trip to Glendalough. Not as long but also well worth it. Not sure if Rabbie's does tours from Dublin. They have smaller groups and are more personable. A trip to Galway or the Cliffs would be a very, very long day. Not sure I would try that from Dublin.
Old May 8th, 2019, 05:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
We went to the Abbey on Saturday and a newborn colt had been born that morning. It was adorable. I wish that tour had spent a little more time in Cong. There were chatty people on bus and driver was annoyed. They didn't understand English apparently. I loved lunch at Kylemore. We had a warm sunny day so made it so much the better. I like Wild Rover tours from Dublin. They have a long day tour to Belfast and Giants causeway with many options. It was worth it.
Old May 8th, 2019, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Just wondering did you book the tour straight through the company because I noticed the price was less if you book on trip advisor.
Old May 8th, 2019, 03:36 PM

I booked all my tours directly with the companies. They have good discounts on their website.
Old May 8th, 2019, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

thanks