Reload this Page >

Day Trips From Dublin

Search

Day Trips From Dublin

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 02:13 PM
Ann

Day Trips From Dublin

I will be in Dublin for the St. Patrick's Festival. I've got one or two days to spare outside the city and am looking for recommendations of whether to head north or south. Perhaps Newgrange and the Boyne Valley, or into Northern Ireland and to the Giant's Causeway? Or do I go south to the Wicklow Mts. or to Powerscourt? Or both north and south? <BR> <BR>These would probably be day excursions only. Any advice, recommendations, are greatly appreciated.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 02:21 PM
Anna

That'a tough one. But, even though I love Northern Ireland, a day trip to the Causeway from Dublin is a VERY long trip. It's a full day's trip from Belfast, which is about 2 to 2.5 hours from Dublin each way. Haven't been to Newgrange, but have heard good reports. <BR> <BR>The Wicklow Mountains would be my first choice IF the weather's nice. There's a hike where you can overlook Powerscourt (again, on a clear day), so you can kind of combine the two). It's on the Wicklow Way. Check out a walking/hiking book for more details. Stop at Johnny Fox's for lunch.

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 03:05 AM
celine

I agree with Anna...the Giant's Causeway would be too much for a day trip. For a day or two, go driving through Wicklow. You'll have beautiful scenery (mountains, sea, etc.) and lots of sights to see. Enniskerry--where you can go to Powerscourt, the coast road to Wicklow town, and Glendalough. I'd also suggest on the return to Dublin to stop in Johnny Fox's...very traditional. For further info on Wicklow (or Antrim, if you still decid on going to the Giant's Causeway), check out info on www.local.ie <BR>Have fun.

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 06:43 AM
steve

If you have any interest in Newgrange, then I would recommend that. Scenery you can get anywhere. Be sure to allow plenty of time. You can only visit on scheduled guided tours which leave the visitor center about every hour (at least at that time of year). If you can check what time the tours leave and plan accordingly, it will eliminate you arriving 5 minutes after the tour left (as happened to me last year)

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 06:55 AM
Gina

I agree with Patrick--Newgrange is fascinating and I highly recommend a visit. Another interesting place nearby, which you could combine with Newgrange on a day trip if you have your own transportation (and possibly even if you don't; we had a rental car, though), is the eerie and lovely Hill of Tara. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful time!

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 05:14 AM
adrienne

Ann <BR> <BR>A lot depends on what your interests are - do you like scenery, old buildings, history, castles, Do you have your own transport, plan on using public transport or taking tours? <BR> <BR>Personally I would not recommend Giant's causeway as a daytrip - you would spend all you time travelling and if weather is bad will see very little (remember distances are deceptive in Ireland and weather in March can be unpredictable). It is possible to do a return trip to Belfast by train, and then perhaps take either a city tour or black taxi tour of the city. It would be easier to take the train than drive to Belfast in a day. www.cie.ie has train times (think a train departs Dublin at 9 & 11 ish and remember Monday 19th is a public holiday). <BR> <BR>If you are driving you could combine a trip to Glendalough and Powerscourt driving through Wicklow's loveliest scenery. Glendalough is the home of St Kevin. There is a visitor centre but the attraction is walking around the beautiful lakes. Powerscourt has beautiful gardens (you have to pay to go to them) and the restaurant is excellent with views overlooking the gardens. <BR> <BR>Both Powerscourt & Glendalough are also possible, but not combineable either by public transport or by tour. The St Kevin's leaves from St Stephen's Green approx 11am. A city bus will take you to Powerscourt. Or you could take the DART (best views from town LHS) along the coast to Bray and pick up a private bus called Mcalpines to Powerscourt - you could either return this way or take the city bus to town. <BR> <BR>Newgrange is amazing - if you are going on a tour make sure it is one which actually goes inside rather than views from the outside. <BR> <BR>Finally if you like castles would recommend Kilkenny City. <BR> <BR> <BR>