Reload this Page >

Day Trips from Amsterdam

Search

Day Trips from Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 07:22 PM
Kat

Day Trips from Amsterdam

I will be in Amsterdam for about 3 days. <BR>Can anyone recommend few organized tours of the city and day excursions to nearby cities? <BR>I would be my first time in the Netherlands, look forward to suggestions!

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 07:57 PM
hmh

Last month, I listed a reply on this site re: Day Trips--it's probably somewhere in the list. Anyway, when I was in Holland this spring with a friend, we took a day trip to Aalkmar to see the cheese auxtion--on Fridays, through Sept. Then went on to the Zuiderzee Museum at Enkhuizen, where there is a "folk village". On another trip, my husband and I took a day trip to Delft and stopped at Den Haag on the way back--on a day return ticket. We also went to Haarlem one day. Zaanse Schans in Zaandam is a windmill village and easy to reach by train. I believe that at the VVV office near Centraal Station, they have info about city trips. The Netherlands has several good info sites, if you want to do a search. You can request Holland info from the NBT at: [email protected]. I got mine very quickly, when I told them my departure date. There is also a website:www.goholland.com. , as well as www.amsterdam.nl. If you are there before Sept. 19, you might want to go to Zomerhof at the Keukenhof Gardens--which is the summer version of the Spring flowers there. There is lots to do in Amsterdam!!

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 02:35 AM
frank

As it's you first time in the Netherlands , I recommend you stay in Amsterdam! <BR>There really is a lot to do & see. <BR>Take a canal tour, maybe a tour of the diamond cutters, go to the flower market. <BR>You don't want to waste your time sitting in a car/train if you only have 3 days.

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 02:10 PM
Peter

I took a day trip to Brussells, Belgium, while visiting Amsterdam and love it. Takes 3hr one way by train. Old square and area is a must. Train ride was also nice - passing next to some tulip fields and a wind mill. No visa or border check

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 07:23 PM
elvira

It's been a while since I was in Amsterdam, but I loved a boat tour of the canals and out into the 'lagoon'. And be sure to eat at an Indonesian restaurant! <BR> <BR>I think 3 days in Amsterdam is barely enough to scratch the surface of this wonderful city.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 05:54 AM
Leo

Hello Kat, maybe a trip to Enkhuizen, Hoorn and Medemblik is worth a trip. <BR>These 3 villages are called "the historic triangle" and there's an old steamtrain running between those places. <BR> <BR>Maastricht would be nice to visit, but it's in the south of Holland(about a 2-3 hour drive), but it's worth the trip. It's the oldest town in Holland(build in the Roman-period).You probably wanna stay overnight. <BR>http://www.vvvmaastricht.nl <BR> <BR>Ejoy your stay, Leo from Maastricht <BR>