Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day trip to Volterra from Florence - Rental Car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you all think of renting a car to drive from Florence to Volterra for a day trip? Is it way too stressful to drive in and out of Florence on the same day or is it do-able? I will be traveling with my fiance on our honeymoon. He would be the one driving. I generally consider myself a decent navigator, though I heard Florence is a different case. I have read all the mixed reviews.

After spending 4 nights in Venice, we are training to Florence on a Friday and staying there for 2-3 days before moving on to Siena, where we definitely want a car and will use it for day trips around Tuscany and on our way to Rome. The complicating factor is that we want to attend the Volterra AD 1398 Festival (an all day medieval fair) on Sunday, August 27. We heard that taking a bus to Volterra from Florence is not be the easiest so we thought a rental car would be more flexible so that we could arrive at the Festival in the morning.

Because we were told that rental car agencies generally do not open on a Sunday, we are planning to pick up a rental car in Florence on Saturday night so that we can set out early in the morning on Sunday for the Volterra Festival. Then we would return to Florence for the night and park the car somewhere, hopefully near JK Place Hotel where we are staying.

What do you all think? Of course I am concerned about expensive parking in Florence, as well as driving in and out of Florence. Are there better ways to get to and from Volterra on a Sunday from Florence besides a rental car? Thanks so much Fodorites for any feedback.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 06:36 PM

Run your dates at www.autoeurope.com and see if the price may discourage you--used to be a 3 day minimum. Frankly, I would hire a private driver and see more of Tuscany than just Volterra, and I do love Volterra.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 06:47 PM

I would hire a private driver too, he can wait for you and take you to other cities like Bob the N. said. good idea
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 08:07 PM

Driving in and out of Florence is no biggie, once you hit the outskirts getting to Volterra is dead easy. There is a fairly large underground car park that you access as you drive up into Volterra (don't know what it will be like on a festival day though !!) Volterra is one of those places that I enjoyed enough that I will return there in September !
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 08:09 PM

PS we actually did Volterra and San Gimignano on the same day. San Gim in the afternoon after the tourist buses left ! The Parking there is outside the city wall but only just !!!