Day Trip to Strasboug and Colmar

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Want to try the new TGV route to Strasbourg in June. We thought we might take a day trip on June 11, which will be one day after the service launches. Do you think (I know it's just an educated guess) we're safe planning on the trip so soon after the service starts and that service will run as scheduled?

My trip mate wants to go to Colmar, so I thought we might take the train directly to Colmar from Paris (first train scheduled for 6:24 a.m.). We would spend several hours in Colmar, then take a "regular" train to Strasbourg in the early afternoon. After a brief visit, we would depart Strasbourg for Paris at 7 p.m.

We cannot stay overnight and really only have a day. Do those of you who have been in the area before think it is worth it to try to catch both cities in the same day?

Also, I've tried looking up guided walks on the official Strasbourg website. It looks like booking a guide this way will cost about $100 per person, which seems outrageous. Any other suggestions?
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:42 PM

In Strasbourg you may find the relatively inexpensive boat tours thru the old city and onto the new EU installations to be better than any 'land' tours.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:00 PM

Both towns have little tourist trains, and the one in Strasbourg is particularly good. You catch it at the cathedral.

I'd suggest picking only one town to visit.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:43 PM

Even with the new TGV, this is a bit far for a day trip. I would suggest you try a day trip closer to Paris. There are many that would result in less train time and more sightseeing time.

How about Dijon?
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:02 PM

I think both towns are too much for a day trip. I lived in Strasbourg for a year so am clearly biased. I would opt for Strasbourg over Colmar hands down! Absolutely do not pay $100 for a guide in Strasbourg. The city is very easy to navigate and very charming. I would suggest climbing to the top of the Cathedral, taking a boat ride (they leave every 30 minutes), visiting the Modern Art Museum and spending time walking the narrow streets (particularly in Petite France). It is also easy to rent bikes and that is a great way to see the city. Make sure to make time for a relaxing lunch, a cafe, a delicious pastry (I love macaroons which are very French), and for some wine (the wines in this region are mostly white, Riesling was my favorite followed by Sylvaner). I recommend eating "Tarte Flambe" which is typical to this region.

Bon voyage!

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:10 PM

Way too much for one day. I spent 2 days in Colmar and would go back for more - and that's the smaller of the 2 places you're contemplating!
What about Rouen or Chartres or Honfleur or Amiens or Troyes or....?
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 06:33 AM
ira

Hi Leb,

It's a long day, but entirely doable.

>After a brief visit, we would depart Strasbourg for Paris at 7 p.m.

Why not take the 20:16 back to Paris. It will give you time to sneak in a light supper in Strasbourg.

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 12:34 PM

Colmar is a lovely town. On a sabattical, I arrived there knowing almost nothing. I spent 5 nights there, and would go back again.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Still undecided, Guys and Gals.

Looks like visiting both cities, though doable, is going to be pretty hectic.

More pros and cons for each city, if you please (and thank you for the suggestions already made!).

Leburta
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 02:48 AM

Pretty hectic is an understatement. I'd stick to one place, and that would be Strasbourg.

Colmar is a charming city, but aside from the Unterlinden Museum with the magnificent Issenheim alterpiece, you'll not find much in Colmar that you wouldn't see in Strasbourg -- half-timbered buildings, canals, Alsatian cuisine etc.

There's more than enough in Strasbourg to keep you occupied for several days, let alone one, and if you try to cram both into a single day's visit from Paris, you'll end up feeling cheated.

Your direct train to Colmar will stop in Strasbourg. Get off there and take the day to enjoy my favourite (after Paris) city in France. I once lived near Strasbourg for three years and never tired of it.

The next time (and I'm sure there will be a next time), rent a car and take a couple of days rambling down the Route du Vin and see Colmar at leisure.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 10:47 AM

What is TGV?
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 11:53 AM

TGV=high speed train
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 05:35 PM

I think trying to do both towns in one day is toomuch.

First - you might run into some train glitch between the 3 diffeent trips.

Second, while Colmar is small and you can see a lot in one day Strasbourg is a lot bigger and IMHO deserves a couple of days just for itself. (We did 4 nights in Strasbourg - 2 days in the town and one driving down to Colmar and stopping at one wine town on the way back. This itinerary was PACKED - and there were still a bunch of things we didn;t see.)

A lot of Strasbourg is really charming and deserves time to just explore as well as a see a couple of the main sights.
Old May 5th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Well, I've finally booked my train tickets to Strasbourg. I'm going on my own and looking forward to my first train trip to a new city by myself! It will be interesting to make this trip the day after the new TGV route starts.

My plan is to find the tourist office and get as much information as I can. At your suggestions, I will take a boat ride, try the tourist train, and do some walking. Any other suggestions for must dos and doable in a single day?

Also, since this is a day trip, I'll be travelling light. Any suggestions for some small gifts from the area that I might take back with me?
Old May 5th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and I'm taking your advice and just visiting Strasboug -- no Colmar on this visit.
Old May 5th, 2007, 04:58 PM

The Cathedral (1190) is a must see as is the Musée Alsacien - a truly fascinating folk museum. Also try the Maison Kammerzell for a meal in a fun atmosphere - 16th cenrtury inn - right near the cathedral.
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Funny story, when I booked the train tickets on-line, I was offered trip insurance. On second thought it was probably not a practical thing to do for 8 euros, but I was feeling my way and a little uncertain, so I was very vunerable. I received both my confirmation and a copy of the trip insurance features by separate e-mail messages. Everything for the trip insurance was in French, which I understand very little. Oh well, too late now...
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:36 PM

well, just keep the info, print and bring with you .. you never know.