Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day trip to Pompei. Bus or Train. Which is better?

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 07:47 PM
BG

Hi! We're going to be in Rome in August. We'd like to to check out Pompei. Is it better to go with a bus tour or take the train on our own?

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 10:21 PM
Jacob

The train drops you off in front of the museum. Make sure you buy the proper guide books with information of the sights.

Enjoy.

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 08:43 PM
Joanna

The train if you wish to "do" Pompeii by yourselves, however, if your time is limited you should check out some day tours by bus just in case there is a train strike the day you want to go, particularly if your itinerary doesn't have the flexibility to wait out a train strike.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 09:36 AM
Thyra

We took a train to Pompeii and hired a guide to see the ruins! I can't recommend getting a guide enough. They are standing by the entrance to the site and they have badges and they charge the same ammount if it's 10 people in your group or 2, so it pays to get another couple to go in on it with you. Our guide Mario knew every stone in Pompeii, and humorous anecdotes that made the city come alive! He pointed out things that other people were just blindly walking over...I can't recommend getting a personal guide enough! It was a bit expensive, but just my husband and myself went! One of the best investments I've ever made on a trip!

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 08:00 PM
bwhyte

we were tired and took bus tour. I hate long bus trips, so this was a mistake. Pompei is great and I liked driving through Naples. Wanted more time in ruins (2 hrs) less time at lunch and did not want to do a "tour" of inlaid wood sales place when great shopping in beautiful Sorrento was nearby (but the drive to Sorrento was gorgeous & I'm glad we weren't driving it.) So if adventurous, take the train, if lazy, take the bus tour and sit up near the front if possible near the air condtioning!

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 12:22 PM
jOSEPH cAMERON

By all means take the train from Rome's Termini train station to Naples and change for the local to Pompei. Use first class, take the train that departs Rome about 9:10 a.m. and be prepared to spend about $100 RT PP. On your return, be careful not to take a Naples-Rome train that makes numerous stops. What they call raid or express may be anything but. There is a website with train schedules - I used it but do not recall details. By the way, some trains stop in the modern town of Pompei and not at the ancient site - but no matter, only 5 minutes by taxi. For lunch, eat in the town and not near the site. And the person who suggests you hire a guide is correct - not expensive and very helpful. They offer 2 and 3 hour tours - either is fine. Seeing Pompei is an amazing experience. When in Rome and looking for good restaurants at reasonable prices, check out www.scalereale's site and their recommendations. Reliable. Goold trip.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 01:15 PM
Walter

Josephorry but I think you either took the wrong train (a regular FS train) from Naples to Pompeii or if you took the CS (Circumvesuviana) which is a commuter train between Naples and Sorrento you got off at the wrong stop.
If you boarded the Pompeii train in one of the 20 or so tracks where you arrived in the main train station. That was the wrong train and it doesn't stop at the Pompeii site only in the modern town. Plus it doesn't run that many times per day maybe 7? If you went down 2 levels below the train station where there are 4 tracks/platforms and took the CS train (2 per hr) and after ~35min got off at "Pompeii (Scavi)-Villa dei Misteri" stop it's only 50M from the ticket office/entrance. The *total* cost R/T FS & CS train and site admission is ~$50US/2nd class and ~$72/1st taking the Eurostar trains. The trip should take ~3hr from Rome to the entrance.
BG: I'd pass on the bustour and go on your own. Do a "Text Search" on Rome to Pompeii for a trip report that will walk you right thru it. Regards, Walter

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 01:18 PM
Walter

Josephorry but I think you either took the wrong train (a regular FS train) from Naples to Pompeii or if you took the CS (Circumvesuviana) which is a commuter train between Naples and Sorrento you got off at the wrong stop.
If you boarded the Pompeii train in one of the 20 or so tracks where you arrived in the main train station. That was the wrong train and it doesn't stop at the Pompeii site only in the modern town. Plus it doesn't run that many times per day maybe 7? If you went down 2 levels below the train station where there are 4 tracks/platforms and took the CS train (2 per hr) and after ~35min got off at "Pompeii (Scavi)-Villa dei Misteri" stop it's only 50M from the ticket office/entrance. The *total* cost R/T FS & CS train and site admission is ~$50US/2nd class and ~$72/1st taking the Eurostar trains. The trip should take ~3hr from Rome to the entrance.
BG: I'd pass on the bustour and go on your own. Do a "Text Search" on Rome to Pompeii for a trip report that will walk you right thru it. Regards, Walter

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 01:21 PM
Thyra

Re: Last message. Be sure you get on a train that goes to Pompeii Scavi..that is the ancient city, not just Pompeii!

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 04:49 PM
Cathy Daily

My husband & I took the train when we were in Italy in November. His front pocket was picked as we stood on the packed train. It was difficult making connections because we found very few people speak English. On the way home, we were ejected from the train unexpectedly because the track had been closed for repairs. This was some distance from our intended station and there was no "Plan B" offered. We finally got a bus only through the kindness of an Italian who took us under his wing and personally walked us to the station. Maybe ours is just an isolated horror story, but Pompeii is close to Naples, renowned for crime and inefficiency. I am returning to Italy in July and will use tours. It can save time and frustration and sometimes even money.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 12:09 AM
Joanna

My friend and I went all the way from Rome to Naples on the inter-city, then it was an easy connection to the Circumvesuviana at Naples central station. Even with bags we found the connection easy and managed to get seats on the C/vesuviana, even though the platform was crowded. After some time in Italy, one gets used to the pushing and shoving and we were getting to be experts by that stage, just like the locals! Did Pompeii out of Sorrento and the P/Scavi station is a stone's throw from the site. Note my earlier comments re train strikes. In my 3 trips to Italy I've struck them twice and on days scheduled either to return to the airport or long inter-city trip. BG please note it would be a long day doing Rome/Pompeii/Rome.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 04:08 PM
Leo

While Pompei was simply incredible, it made for a rough day trip from Rome. Got the 8am train fromTermini and while it said Intercity, it made every stop on the way to Naples!! The trip took close to three hours. There are no signs what so ever in Naples regarding what subway to take and if you ask for Pompei, people will tell you to take the train to the new town and not the ruins (Scavi). It's a tough call as I think the ruins are simply not to be missed but if going from Rome, take a tour instead of the trains, it makes for a really LOOONNNGGGGGGG day.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 04:28 PM
Joanna

Leo, no offence, but a bit of research before leaving home pays dividends. We knew to ask for/look out for the Circumvesuviana line when we arrived at Naples station - sure enough, there were signs to it and we even asked a station attendant just to be doubly sure.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 04:28 PM
pogonip

Just got back from five weeks in Europe, three in Italy. Take the Eurostar train from Rome. It is really first class, cool and comfortable. Take the circumvesuviana train to Pompeii from Naples. Don't take a bus tour. Get yourself a guide book and read it ahead of time! You may want to spend more than one day there; it is incredible. A happy place to stay is in Sorrentol We recommend the Hotel Minerva if you can get in. The circumvesuviana goes to Sorrento (end of line) from Naples (beginning of line)and stops at Pompeii Scavi.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 04:46 PM
Walter

Leo: I know the feeling, last Nov I booked (1st/seat reservations) the 0610 IC train to get an early start to visit Naples. But they also changed it to one of the slower trains. In hindsight I should have booked the 0710 ES train which arrived before us. Regards, Walter

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 05:54 AM
Leo

Joanna, no offense taken but the problem was that I did do my research and still got burned. Three seperate train staff put us on wrong trains to get to the site!! A supposed express train turned into a local. Problems like that go a long way to ruining a day, let me tell you. But I will say this was the only problem during a tremendous trip. If I had to do it over, I would have stayed in Rome the entire day and passed on Pompei, but that only applies if you are going no further south than Rome.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 09:25 AM
Frank

Highly recommend the Appian Bus tour out of Rome to Naples, Pompeii and Sorento. Could never have covered that territory on our own in one day. Took it last month and had a wonderful time. It was great to sit back and have someone cart us around for the day without having to do to much thinking. It was a great break from all of the independant planning and sightseeing we had done in Rome and Florence.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 09:51 AM
BG

Thanks for all the information. Frank, where did you take the Appian Bus tour? Did you reserve it ahead of time? How much did it costs? After listening to everyone, I prefer to take the bus. You are right, after being on our own most of the time, it would be a good break from taking the train.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 01:09 PM
Frank

BG: We booked Appian through our hotel, you can book the day before you plan to take the tour, it cost about $55 per person. You are picked up at your hotel and brought to the Appian office near the Termini Station, where you pay for the tour and board the bus. It's a long day with a 7Am pickup and a 9PM return, but well handled. The bus was comfortably air conditioned, a rest stop was made along the way comming and going, and lunch was included and was suprisingly good. There was a two hour tour of Pompeii, which was just about the right length, with a very knowledgable guide. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 07:19 AM
topper

To the top, for Brian