Old Feb 14th, 2001, 11:55 AM
Panos

travel to Istanbul

could you please suggest me a good and cheap
hotel (around 30-40$ per night) in istanbul and
particularly in the sultanahmet area? Is this
area safe for tourists?

Do you know if I need a visa to enter to Turkey
or my passport is enough? I am a greek citizen.

Thanks
Panos

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 01:29 PM
a

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 04:57 AM
Paige

The Sultanahmet area is perfectly safe for tourists. On Akbiyik Cad (sp?) there are a couple of hostels that are no doubt cheap.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 05:10 AM
Dave

I stayed in the Side Pension (next to the Side Hotel) for about $35US for a single with private facilities. It was simple but clean and less than 5 minutes from Aya Sophia and Sultanahmet Mosque; views of both, and of the Bosphorus from the rooftop dining area.

The area seemed quite safe, aside from all the hyper-aggressive carpet salesmen.

Dave

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 07:24 AM
mimi

Hi,
You need a visa for Turkey which can be purchased at the airport in Istanbul.I think we paid about $40 U.S. dollars and they put a stamp in your passport.
The Sultanahmet area was very safe;full of tourists, restaurants, and near all the attractions. It was very easy to walk everywhere even to the Grand Bazar. We stayed and enjoyed the Empress Zoe but it was in the $60 dollar range with breakfast. There are many little hotels there and a lot of travel agents.