Day trip to lake Albano

Search

Day trip to lake Albano

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trip to lake Albano

While staying in Rome is it possible to take a day trip to visit a beautiful lake I have heard of Lake Albano and hope that aday trip to that or any other lake would be possible can you help me? Is Assisi far from Rome? Thanks in advance
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Assisi is 2-3 hrs each way via train and the train lets you off at the bottom of the hill, a few miles from town (but right next to one of the major religious sites)- buses from Rome may be as quick and go right to the top - a bus tour may be the most practical way to day trip here.
But Assis IMO is a fantastic town regardless of your religious interests - one of the nicest towns i've been to in Italy.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 11:18 AM

Lake Albano makes a lot shorter and just as interesting day trip - trains run there often from Rome's Termini station and buses as well.

I went by train, got off at Frascati, a neat old town, then got off at Castle Gondolfo, Pope's summer retreat and walked around the lake from there i think (or maybe some station nearer the lake)

The Alban Hills were the refuge of rich Romans in the Renaissance and many villas dot the hills. A great day trip in my opinion and the train (not operated by Trenitalia i believe) is dirt cheap. Can also get from Ostiense train station in Rome i believe.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 01:59 AM

Hi Fran - Lake Albano is a nice trip - and combines well with Castel Gandolfo.

There are regular trains to Castel Gandolfo (- journey time: about 40 mins).
www.trenitalia.com

It's about a 15 mins walk down to the lake from the station. Nice walk around the lake ...

Another attractive one is Lake Bracciano (- also accessible by train).

Assisi is an easy day-trip from Rome by train.
Some trains are direct (- e.g 08.14 from Roma Termini). Others require a change of train at FOLIGNO.

Journey time is approx 2 hrs. For timetables see:
www.trenitalia.com

As Bob says, Assisi station is below the town. There is a bus service from the station up to the town.
Get bus tickets in advance (- from the station bar)... and VALIDATE on boarding.

There are bus tours too from Rome as Bob says, but they tend to be expensive.

Hope this helps ...

Steve