Reload this Page >

Day trip to Italy from Nice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Janet

My husband and I will be staying in Nice for a few days next week and we would like to take a day trip to someplace in Italy. Portofino? San Remo? Genoa? We will not have a car, so we must rely on buses and/or trains. Is this do-able? Has anyone zipped over to Italy from Nice just for the day? This will be our second time in Nice. We've already been to Cannes and Monaco. This time I would really like to see a tiny bit of Italy if you think it is worth the trip????

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Daniel

The Italian Riviera is an easy day trip from Nice. Even the slowest local train takes only 50 minutes to the Italian border town of Ventimiglia. Not far inland, at Mortola Inferiore, is the botanical Hanbury Gardens. From Ventimiglia is it only 7 mins by train to Bordighera and another 10 to San Remo, both classic resorts worth a visit.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Carol

I believe the most wonderful town on the Italian Riviera is Noli. You can get there by train from Nice, a local. Noli is very small but has it all: a lovely beach, a castle on the hill, an old church in the center of town, and best of all, medieval streets so narrow you can stretch your hands across. <BR>We didn't like San Remo, too ordinary albeit lovely, but liked Ventimiglia a lot too, especially the old underground street. enjoy!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 12:06 AM
Daniel

Noli sounds nice, "perhaps the nicest resort along this part of the Riviera" according to the Rough Guide Italy. But it´s near Spotorno, a little too far for a day trip from Nice. <BR>The earlier mentioned Villa Hanbury is "the most important botanical garden by the Mediterranean Sea". It is actually close to the sea, between Menton and Ventimiglia (local bus).

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:11 AM
Steve James

Hello Janet,<BR><BR>Portofino is too far for a day trip, as is Genoa, IMO. Noli, too, would be a long trip.<BR><BR>My suggestions would be nearer the French border, - Alassio, San Remo, Albenga, Bordighera ... <BR><BR>Alassio is perhaps my favourite and one of the nicer resorts on the Riviera.<BR><BR>Albenga is less of a 'resort' but has an interesting historic city centre.<BR><BR>San Remo, too, is well worth a visit.<BR><BR>They're fairly close, - so you could visit 2 or more if you wanted.<BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR> <BR>

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 03:37 AM
Janet

Thank you all for taking the time to write. I am very excited about seeing even the tiniest bit of Italy. Your comments and suggestions were very helpful.<BR>Arrivederci!!!!!<BR><BR>