Day trip to Chartres?

Mar 11th, 1999, 12:08 PM
hcw

Day trip to Chartres?

My husband and I are making our second trip to Paris later in the spring, this time with teenage children. We are considering a day trip by train to Chartres to see a bit of the countryside. (We are favoring Chartres over Versailles, but wnet there on our first trip and would like a different experience.) Any comments/suggestions on Chartre? Merci again!

Mar 11th, 1999, 12:26 PM
dan

Chartres is a great day trip. It is a good contrast to the big city. There were quite a few people when I went on a Sunday in late August, but I didn't find it crowded at all. The train (from the Montparnasse station) takes just over an hour, and I think it was around $25 US round trip. The cathedral is worth at least 1/2 to 2 hours. You can do the old town walk in an hour, but I would budget at least 1 1/2 hours for that part. The old town around the cathedral is very well restored, and there is a well-marked walk beginning behind the cathedral. The cathedral is easy to find from the station and is less than ten minutes walking. Watch for the cathedral as you approach (on the left side of the train), and you will see it rising above the fields of grain. Definitely climb the cathedral tower.

Mar 11th, 1999, 01:10 PM
michele

Be SURE to take at least one tour of the cathedral with Malcolm Miller, Chartres scholar and enthusiast. You meet him and sign -up for the tour inside the cathedral. He is extraordinary...

Mar 11th, 1999, 01:47 PM
dan

Sorry, I meant the cathedral is worth at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Mar 11th, 1999, 01:58 PM
elaine

Hi
If you do a Search here on Chartres you will find some recent postings
Chartres is wonderful. If at all possible go on a sunny day to see the stained glass in its glory.

Mar 11th, 1999, 03:23 PM
Joanna

Michelle,
How long has the Chartres enthusiast been giving the tours? I could only find one French speaking tour when I was there (early October).

Mar 11th, 1999, 03:54 PM
hcw

Not sure how long he's been there, but Malcolm Miller has been mentioned in EVERY reference I've found to visiting Chartres!