Greek ferries

Mar 9th, 1999, 05:09 AM
Julie

Greek ferries

My husband and i are taking a week to go to Athens, Santorini and Mykonos. Wondering about the best way to get from island to island (and don't think we want to pay that much to fly to each). How aer the ferries? Or hydrofoils? Do they get cancelled much due to winds in June? And what do you think about taking an overnight ferry Athens/Santorini? Are the ferries really smokey? Thanks!

Mar 9th, 1999, 12:04 PM
D. Spiegel

It's been a while since I was in Greece, but I did take a night ferry from Paros to Rhodes. It was quite nice. We took a 1st class cabin, which worked very well, and ate in the dining room -- most people slept on the deck and ate at a snack bar. The price turned out to be the same or cheaper than taking a room for the night. I've been told that the ferry between Mykonos and Santorini is about 5-6 hours. With the limited amount of time you have, I think you're trying to fit in a bit much. I have a trip coming up, and we're planning on 4 nights on Santorini, 5 nights on Mykonos and 2 in Athens. With only a week, you'll spend a great deal of that time traveling. Flying makes more sense if you really need to fit in all that you want to see. Keep in mind that flight service between Mykonos and Santorini is limited. Anyway, that's my read on it. Also, keep in mind that transportation there depends on the weather. Someone told me that a ferry ride that was supposed to take 6 hours, took 10 hours due to weather conditions. Have a great time.

Mar 9th, 1999, 02:54 PM
Bob

It's a few years ago, but I took daytime and overnight ferries, sleeping both in a cabin and on deck. This was Italy to Greece, Athens to Santorini, Crete, etc. Service was always good and though there were smokers galore, there always seemed to be somewhere to avoid them. Perhaps that's changing, though I don't know.

Mar 11th, 1999, 04:11 AM
francesca

If it's an overnight trip, definitely get a cabin if you want to sleep and avoid smoke. We stayed on deck and got no sleep!

Mar 11th, 1999, 01:20 PM
Paulo

With only a week to spare, your plans seem a bit ambitious. Since June is not yet high season, I recommend keeping your options open. The proper way to reach Santorini is by overnight ferry (entering the caldera early in the morning provides a splendid sight). Once there, you should play it by ear. If you feel like going on to Mykonos, ok. Otherwise extend your stay and return directly to Athens (a couple of days there wouldn't hurt either). Anyways,
the Piraeus-Santorini ferry trip takes some 9 hours. From Santorini to Mykonos you'll take 4-5 hours by ferry and about 2 hours by hydrofoil. From Mykonos to Rafina you'll take 5 hours by ferry and about 2 hours by hydrofoil. For the overnight ferry, I recommend you take an inside cabin (cathegory A/B) which should cost each of you about US$ 33. You may find some more info on the sea trips (schedules, prices, etc) at:
http://www.united-hellas.com/agapitos/pass.htm
http://www.strintzis.gr/
Paulo

Mar 11th, 1999, 04:41 PM
Bly

Julie: This Oct. we took the ferry Athens to Mykonos via Paros, hydrofoil Mykonos to Santorini, overnight ferry Santorini to Athens. This worked great for us. If you're concerned about smoke-watch out for Athens. Some of the worst pollution I've seen. I didn't notice smoke at all on the ferries.