Day Trip - Rental Car From Berlin To Poland

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2018, 06:16 AM
LT
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trip - Rental Car From Berlin To Poland

Hello:

We're thinking about taking a rental car for the day from Berlin to Szczecin or possibly Poznan. The info on here is dated, so am wondering if someone can provide updated info... Specifically,

- Do the rental companies even allow you to take your car into Poland? Will we need to declare we're driving into Poland when we reserve/pick car up?

- Is auto theft in either of these places a big issue? If so, is there somewhere (generally) (hotels perhaps?) where we can valet park?

- Will we need anything in terms of papers/documents besides our passports, Intl. drivers license & rental agreement to go between both countries?

- Are there any tolls/border crossing fees?

- Do they have speedcams? If so, what's the fine?

Thanks very much!
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 09:16 AM

I can't answer most of them, but as for your last question. It seems to me most developed countries now have speed cameras (as well as red light cameras), Germany and Poland certainly do, yes. I suggest you consider not breaking the law and not speeding and you won't have to worry about them. I don't know the fine in Poland, in Germany, I think it starts at around 70 euro, and penalties get very severe if you are more than 30 over the limit (meaning more than just a fine). Fines are cheaper in Poland, I think.

Poznan is awfully far to be driving from Berlin for a day trip, I think it's about 3 hrs each way. Yes, you need more than that to drive in Poland. You must have proof of insurance on you, in addition to ID and drivers license. You apparently do not know that there is no such thing as an "international drivers license", that is just a permit and is NOT a license. You had better have your actual license on you or else. You have to have certain things with you which may come with the car like reflective jacket and triangle, also.

I"m not up on the latest info, but I think Poland has a high car theft rate and rental companies in Germany don't let you go there, but maybe that's changed.
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 09:29 AM

Why don't you get in touch with AutoEurope and ask these questions? They will know. Or even EuropCar or Hertz or some car rental company that has a European presence.

There are speed cameras all over Europe now, not something you have to worry about as long as you don't break the law. You should be able to google for specific information on speeding fines in any country.

It's an IDP, not a license.
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 12:11 PM

I'd consider taking the train over driving but either is a long way - Szczecin - 2 1/4 hours and Poznan about 3 by train. But if just wanting to tour city take the train - driving on autobahns is boring and side roads take much longer and once in the city cars are useless - check www.bahn.de/en for fares and booking your own tickets.
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 01:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
- Do the rental companies even allow you to take your car into Poland? Will we need to declare we're driving into Poland when we reserve/pick car up?

In general, yes. Some companies restrict sports or luxury class vehicles, some charge an additional fee. ( Our last rental had an 18 Euro charge, Europecar rented through AutoEurope)

Declaration varies from company to company. AutoEurope makes its own rules which often don't match the rental company's.

- Is auto theft in either of these places a big issue? If so, is there somewhere (generally) (hotels perhaps?) where we can valet park?

Between my brother and I we have been to Poland and Germany 11 times in past three years. None of us have experienced any theft or vandalism, parking pretty well anywhere.
In Poland there are two types of paid parking:
parking płatny (paid) and parking strzeżony (monitored).
Not all paid parking is monitored but all monitored parking is paid.

We always rent cars with zero deductible, or purchase CDW through the rental company.

- Will we need anything in terms of papers/documents besides our passports, Intl. drivers license & rental agreement to go between both countries?

In Poland it is crucial to have an IDP. You will be deemed to be driving without a valid licence if stopped by the police and the car will be impounded . In case of an accident, without an IDP your insurance will be void. Last year my brother's rental car hit a deer and the first thing the police wanted to see was the IDP.
Don't know about the IDP rules in Germany.

- Are there any tolls/border crossing fees?
There are no tolls in Germany or to Szczecin, there are tools on the A2 to Poznan (10 toll stations between the border and Poznan)

- Do they have speedcams? If so, what's the fine?

They have lots of speedcams, visible and with sufficient warning given. In my experience they are always at the pedestrian crossings.
I have never gotten a speeding ticket.

Pay particular attention to this sign. Urban area, speed limit 50kph unless indicated otherwise.
Day Trip - Rental Car From Berlin To Poland-1200px-znak_d42.svg.png

Last edited by cdnyul; Sep 6th, 2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 12:21 AM

The police will not impound your car as long as you have your drivers licence, ID (passport), car registration and insurance in order. Driving without an IDP will "only" cost you 500 zloty on-the-spot fine each time police stops you, but you will be allowed to drive on. Some people seem to think that an IDP replaces their drivers licence so they do not even take it. And that all provided you actually need an IDP to drive in Poland - lots of nationalities do not.

Last edited by not_this_time; Sep 12th, 2018 at 12:31 AM.
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 12:25 AM

I forgot - speeding fines: SpeedingEurope | Poland

Last edited by not_this_time; Sep 12th, 2018 at 12:32 AM.