I have 3 more days to spend "somewhere". Here are some things that interest me:

* extra night in Florence & day trip to Lucca via train
* extra night in Venice, just for the fun of it
* day trip to Pienza/Montepulciano from Siena - private driver or renting car
* day trip to San Gimignano/Volterra from Siena - private driver or renting car
* day trip to Montelcino from Siena - private driver or renting car
* day trip to Greve from Siena- private driver or renting car
* overnight in Orvieto en route from Siena to Rome

Someone posted a link to a private driver for the Tuscany area. I am leaning toward hiring a driver vs renting a car at this time for any day trips that would require private transportation, although I have not ruled out renting a car if that made the most sense. Of course, if public transportation were feasible that would be my first option.

So, which 3 would you choose? Are any of the above not really feasible? Or, do you have suggestions I haven't listed?? Thank you so much for your ideas!!
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd add the extra days to the stops you've already planned. You're covering this area pretty fast. The trip between Florence and Venice will take half a day minimum, including checking out of your hotel, getting to the train station, the trip, getting to your Florence hotel and checking in. Ditto the trip from Siena to Rome.

So you don't have as many full days as you think. And, if you're flying into Venice after a long, overnight flight, you'll be tired and jetlagged the first few days in Venice.

All your destinations could keep you busy for days.
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:58 PM

I'd add an extra to Venice - Mimar's advice makes sense. Having just two full days in Venice may be frustratingly short.

Just when you think that you've discovered how to find your way around, you would be leaving ..........
Old May 26th, 2010, 09:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Public transportation is feasible for Siena/Montepulciano. There are multiple bus departures (less on Sunday) with the latest return to Siena about 8:00. The schedule takes a minute to load. Siena/Montalcino are pages 21-25.
http://www.trainspa.it/train04/extraurbano.pdf

You can also reach San G. easily from Siena. Here's a bus map for the area around Siena.
http://www.sienamobilita.it/mappe/Mappa_EXT.pdf
Old May 26th, 2010, 09:39 PM

You didn't say what time of year...if it's summer and there are crowds of tourists, I'd choose Pienxa, Montepulciano over San Gimmeanno...and Lucca, too, is wonderful, but closer to Florance than Sienna. Driving your own car gives you greater flexibility...but parking in these places, especially in the summer months can be a real problem. But if you're going in the Fall...then you can go to all these places in 3 days from Sienna...but then you won't have time to explore Sienna. IOf it's your first time to Italy, give yourself more time in each location and plan to return another time to explore the countryside and small villages.
Old May 27th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

We plan to go in early May, but actually could hold off until fall if that would be better. It is my first trip but my husband's 2nd. Florence wasn't on my "must do" list, but we are going back because my husband wants to so that is why we are just allowing 1 full day there.

i look forward to more feedback and appreciate the comments so far!
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You will have much more daylight in May.
Old May 27th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Gosh, great point about having more daylight. Another thing I didn't even think of. I appreciate that. I think I might stick with early May versus October for this trip.
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:41 AM

We visited Italy in early May, and it was wonderful. Not crowded with tourists yet, and flowers in bloom everywhere (especially on the Spanish Steps).

What about seeing some of the Ligurian Coast, going to Cinque Terre, or elsewhere? We stayed three nights in Santa Margherita Ligure, and loved it. It's an easy train ride to the Cinque Terre, or bus to Portofino.
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:18 AM

I, too, would add your "extra" days to the places you already have, especially Venice.

Personally, I would stay in a smaller town like San Gimignano and make day trips from there (including a day trip to Siena). It would give you more variety from your time in the big cities, and San Gimignano in the evening, after the day-trip visitors have left, is magical. And I would rent a car, to have the ultimate amount of flexibility.