Day trip ideas from Zermatt?

Mar 15th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Day trip ideas from Zermatt?

As my message title implies, are there any places within a day train trip for someone based in Zermatt (when we take a day off of skiing.) Any ideas are welcome!
Mar 16th, 2004, 04:19 AM

Hi timjstark,

The one time I went skiing in Zermatt, I spent a few days walking the winter trails in the hills around the village -- and enjoyed it more!! It was several years ago, and I didn't take good notes, so I can't make specific suggestions. I'm sure your hotel can help you out with ideas, or maybe the Zermatt tourist office.

One poster here recommends Zinal, and I personally would love to explore Visp.

If you have an inclination, you can check out travel times at www.rail.ch.

Let me know if I can help further --

s
Mar 16th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks...I will check it out!
Mar 16th, 2004, 09:15 AM
JonJon

It depends on what you consider a "day trip"..the trip to Visp takes all of an hour by train....you can be all the way to Geneva in about three hours by train (changing in either Visp of Brig)...you might consider Montreux or Lausanne...some might tell you to go to the Bernese Oberland/Interlaken which is wonderful but after being at the Matterhorn, the Dufourspitze, and Monte Rosa, any other peaks of lesser height may seem anti-climactic to you.

Mar 16th, 2004, 10:49 AM

I think there are several places within reasonable distance for a day trip.

First I'd suggest Brig (instead of Visp, sorry S, you will be disappointed!). The Stockalper castle is nice, and so is the small old town.

Sion, the capital of the canton Valais, is also beautiful. The two hills with castle/churches are picturesque. Don't miss the cathedral and Maison Supersaxo, a beautiful old townhouse.

In case you are looking for another picturesque mountain village I highly recommend Ernen, a couple of km further than Brig. Well preserved old village with typical wooden houses, a nice church etc.

Even a day trip to Montreux/Lake Geneva with castle Chillon is doable.

Enjoy!
Mar 16th, 2004, 10:51 AM

Sorry, I forgot to mention the Fondation Gianadda in Martigny, a stunning museum, and the old Abbey church of St. Maurice with unbelievable works of medieval art in the treasury.

Also, there are fantastic vineyards (tasting + museums) in the canton. Check out the surrounding of Sierre (Salgesch). But maybe not the perfect time of year.
Mar 16th, 2004, 12:49 PM

Hi ...

Look at www.myswitzerland.com

Mark
Mar 17th, 2004, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies!
What about going into Italy? Are there any places within reach that would be worth seeing?
Mar 17th, 2004, 11:16 AM

topper

Search this Thread