four days of "cheap" swiss travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am STUDENT flying into Geneva on the 30th and plan on spending the afternoon and New Years eve in Geneva. From the 1st-4th I would like to train travel in and around the French-Southern part of Switzerland, possibly with some skiing if it isn't too expensive. I am very open to ideas of what to do (authentic towns, skiing, hiking, nature etc.) Can anyone suggest an itinerary or must-sees in this region that would have me end up in a location that has trains to Paris (I am flying back to the state from CDG on the 6th)??
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 02:37 AM

Trains to Paris could be obtained from at least three points: Geneva, Lausanne, and, I believe) Bern.

Can only offer advice re places to stay..you might take a look at www.rooms.ch for a list of budget accommodations. These are a click or two up from the hostal level if this is of interest.

I think you could spend the entire time in the three cantons of Geneva, Vaud (Lausanne/Montreux) and Valais (Zermatt, etc)...French is spoken in the latter until you get as far as Sion.

Consider the Castle Chillon in Montreux; the rack railway trip up to Rochers de Naye from Montreux (and that train also stops at at least one piste and has a "ski-cart" attached for gear transport for spectacular views provided the weather is clear.

Lausanne is an interesting university city. Towns along the lake including Vevey and Morges are also popular points.

I am sure others can help with many better recommendations than mine.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 03:04 AM

Hi princesspaige,

Intrepid1 has given good advice to look at www.rooms.ch -- a very good resource. Also look in www.bnb.ch (for b&bs), but these may not be centrally located and you may need to take a bus or a taxi --

I suggest you look into the towns of Leysin and Chateau d'Oex, both pretty close to Geneva. I did a quick check at the hotel & the b&b sites, and there are four hotels in Leysin and four b&bs, and there is one hotel and one b&b in Chateau d'Oex. Villars-sur-Ollon is another option, and there are two b&bs there. You'll have better luck at finding reliable snow in Zermatt, so also look there for hotels & b&bs.

You can check train schedules at www.rail.ch.

Have fun!

s
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:47 AM
freiamaya

Hi there!
You can try www.hostelworld.com for budget accommodation. Also, your local youth hostel organization may have info re: those available in Switzerland. As for neat things to see -- try Interlaken (take the Jungfrauhoc up to the top of the Jungfrau mountain) for scenery, Bern for history, Lucerne for civic beauty, and Gruyere for interest (gotta love those fondues!!!). You also might try the Glacier Express -- a train that takes you through the most scenic parts of Switzerland, including Zermatt and is well worth the money. Also, I have seen posted at the entrance of alot of hostels a list of local agents that can provide day trips to various sites including ski trips and cross country ski adventures. Usually, prebooking is not necessary.
Just some food for thought!

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:58 AM

I second the advice to go see Chateau Chillon, just outside of Montreaux. I stayed in Lausanne, at the Lausanne Guesthouse & Backpackers and it was SPOTLESS, neat, with a beautiful view of the lake, and with very helpful staff.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 05:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eating cheap in Switzerland: go to Migros, Coop or Manor restaurants. They are self-service and the food is good. You can choose from their buffet or have a menu. The menu costs between SFr. 12-14.-- Drinks and dessert NOT included.

Ask for a glass of faucet water. It's for free (still).
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 08:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Most of my suggestions are already mentioned above.

I love the towns of Lausanne, Vevey, and Montreux which are easy to reach by train from Geneva (~1 hour). Vevey is my favorite of the three. There is a well-respected hostel right on the town square just off the lake there.

Definitely Chateau de Chillon, and the tram up Rochers de Naye if the weather is clear, and walking along the quai in any of these towns is beautiful, maybe a boat ride on the lake.

Migros grocery store has great foods and is not expensive. Also most bakeries offer great sandwiches. If you can catch the open air street farmers markets in the towns there are good eats (Tues/Fri Vevey, Fri Montreux). Watch for chalk boards outside local cafes at lunchtime for the "workmens special" each place traditionally offers one dish at a good price each day.