Day trip from Montreux to Chamonix, Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, would like your thought, opinions regarding a day trip from Montreux to Chamonix. Aiguille du midi cable car. Travel by train??? Friends have experienced the cable car and told me do not miss the experience. So your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 06:57 PM

Don't miss it!!! It is 3 different cable car rides I believe. Awesome, incredible views. Don't miss Chillon Castle either.
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 08:30 PM

It takes at least twice as long to use public transport as to drive.

Chamonix isn't in Switzerland, and railway lines typically aren't designed to cross minor frontiers. So (see bahn.de) it's a messy, at least 3 hrs each way, bus and train combination if you haven't got a car. Allowing a minimum of 3 hrs for the trip up to at least the midway point of the Aiguille du Midi cable car, it's going to be a full day.

Well worth, in my view, thinking about walking down the lower half of the route (or even walking up if you're feeling fit)

My own limited experience is that taxis aren't a sensible alternative. It's 50-60 miles by road, and both hiring a driver for a day and relying on two "one way" ("one way" because you have to pay his return costs in practice) need several mortgages.
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 10:29 PM

Hi Holidayjj,

I think the value in this very (very) long excursion will depend on what else you'll be doing in Montreux and in Switzerland, and how long you have in Montreux.

Will you be visiting the high Swiss Alps, or will Chamonix be your only opportunity to ascend some dramatic peaks?

What other things do you have planned for your stay in Montreux? How long will you have?

You can very easily ascend some peaks around Gstaad, which is about 1h30 from Montreux by direct train. You can either take the cable car up to the Wispile and walk there, or take a bus from Gstaad to the Col du Pillon and take the cable car up to Glacier 3000. Total travel time to the Col is 2h.

Here's a link for Glacier 3000:

http://www.glacier3000.ch/en/index.cfm

Hope you find what you want!

s
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

We are in Montreux only for 2 1/2 days. We were told to not miss this excursion. However, prefer not to spend 6 hrs (to and from) in travels. Will look into The cable car up to Glazier 3000. If you have other suggestions while we are in Montreau aside from Chillon Castle which we are certainly looking forward to and walking through the vineyards. Love to visit local family owned eateries as well. Thanks everyone
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 05:05 AM

Hi again,

With only 2 1/2 days, I surely wouldn't spend a full day out of the area! Are you also visiting the mountains during this visit?

Yes, a walk through the vineyards is high on my list -- I think I told you about the options. You could take the lake ferry to Lutry, have lunch in town, then walk up to the vineyards and walk to Epesses or Cully or Rivaz, about 2h or 3h depending on which you choose.

I would also make sure to spend half a day in the old town of Vevey, which is right next to the lake. Just get lost in the winding streets and discover its antiques shops, boutiques, bookshops, and cafes.

When you visit Chillon, I recommend you walk there from town; it takes about 45 minutes. The flowered lakeside promenade is one of the best things about the town. If you take an audio tour of Chillon, that will take 2h.

If you are going anywhere else in Switzerland, you may want to go via the Golden Pass route -- then you could just hop off at Gstaad, store your bags, and catch the bus to the Col du Pillon and Glacier 3000. If you have more time in the area, I'd recommend a visit to Gruyeres and its castle and a meal in one of the restaurants so you can sample the cheese and the double cream.

More than enough to do in the area without going far out of your way!

s