Day Trip from Milan

Search

Day Trip from Milan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trip from Milan

Spending 2 weeks in sunny Italy, in October. Booked 4 nights in Milan (2 on arrival & 2 prior to departure). Any suggestions on day trips from Milan. Thanks!
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 07:46 PM
rex

Bellagio, Pavia, Bergamo, Monza would all be enjoyable day trips, I think (though you migh regret not spending several nights in Bellagio or other nearby towns on Lake Como).

And I think that the Hostetler family still try to keep this pretty up-to-date:

http://www.hostetler.net

A rather incredible "labor-of-love" website worth browsing in its own right, and particularly for these links:

http://www.hostetler.net/cool.cfm?Se...&menubar=1

What are you doing for the ten days between coming and going from/to Milan?

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 10:47 PM

>>>Spending 2 weeks in sunny Italy, in October. Booked 4 nights in Milan <<<

Don't count on it being always sunny in October, especially in Milan.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 10:59 PM

Hi gwkw, October in Milan will probably not be sunny, it is true. But Milan is a wonderful city to visit, although some people do not think so. But if you are staying in Milan to take day trips why not go to where you want to visit.

Perhaps more information would allow various people here on Fodors to help you decide where you want to go.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 11:27 PM

Weather in October is unpredictable, especially since the weather has been unseasonable for several years now. If you're lucky, October will be dry and clear and gorgeous, though cool. This can be the best time to visit the lakes, without summer haze the views are stupendous.

If the weather's good, I would suggest Lake Como: take a train to Varenna (worth seeing itself) and then boats around the central part of the lake - Bellagio, Menaggio, Villa Carlotta. Then take a fast boat down the other branch of the lake to Como, and a train back to Milan from there. There are lots of trains and boats, so you should be able to be pretty flexible in when you come and go. See http://www.straughan.com/italy/travel/lake_como.htm for some links.

Have fun!

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

www.straughan.com (personal)
www.tvblob.com (work)
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 02:26 AM

I would tend to agree with the immediately above. The train to Varenna only takes an hour and 20 minutes. Ferries over to either Bellagio or Menaggio take between 10-15 minutes. Easy walk around Varenna (although it is somewhat hilly) or from the rail station to the ferry dock (10 minutes all downhill). You could easily spend a day between the three towns and either take a fast ferry to the city of Como or the train back to Milan.

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 03:18 AM

Hello gw:

We're going to be in Milan for one full day in July before flying home. I've planned a day trip to Bellagio by taking the train to Como (about 1 hour) and the fast ferry to Bellagio. We've reserved for lunch at the Hotel Belvedere up on the hill at their outdoor restaurant. Looks like a great view. Can't wait. On the rebound, we considered dinner in Como but decided to get back to Milan in prep for an early flight. Good luck. Gradyghost
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 03:40 AM
cmt

Bergamo, Vigevano, and Varenna are some that I'd recommend as enjoyable and worthwhile day trips if you're sure that you want to stay in Milan and use it as your base. I've never been to Pavia, but I think that would be an excellent day trip.

P.S. For a shoert two-week trip to Italy, four nights in Milan sounds like a lot. But if you're going to be IN Milan, don't you want to see a bit of Milan, too, e.g., the Sforza castle, Brera galleries, the "Last Supper," the Duomo? I'm one of those who doesn't like Milan, but over 30 years ago, when it was far less polluted than it is now, I did spend a few days there seeing some of the highlights, and I do think it is worth visiting the city seriously at elast once. However, if you'd rather not, and you're set on using it as a base for day trips, you have several very good and easy options.

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Rex, We're spending 3 nights each in Venice, Rome & Florence
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 02:28 PM
rex

You're welcome.