Day Trip from London - Bath or York?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be travelling to London for the second time this April 2008 and would like to try the countryside for a change. We've narrowed it down to two cities.

I hope someone can tell me which would be the better day trip: Bath or York? Which of the two is more picturesque or has more to see? I've read great endorsements about York but I'm concerned about the travel time by train which then makes me lean toward Bath. The family does not like the idea of spending too much time on the train. But if York is really worth the extra travel time, it would be really great to know.

We don't have any particular interests - just hoping for a rewarding day outside London. I expect, though, that the beauty and atmosphere of the place would have more leverage than any other point. If we could just get an idea about the ambience (history, landscape, etc.) of each city from those who've been there, it would be a great help in helping us decide.

Thank you so much!
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 06:40 AM

First, trains can be fun just for the sake of scenery and meeting other people. London to Bath is about 1 1/2 hour while York is 2 hours. If I had to chose it would be York, hands down!
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply! Will keep that endorsement in mind.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 07:32 AM

Bath is a lovely, lovely town but really touristy.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 07:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
York has more. Don't laugh but the world's largest train museum is interesting just for fun (think it's free). The old bits, the walls, the wheel, etc etc. Bath is just less.

Coming back consider supper on the train, stretches the day and a good experience
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 08:01 AM

You said family. If you're bringing kids, I think they would find York more interesting. In addition to the Railway Museum, there's the Castle Museum (scenes of life in Victorian and other times), the ancient city walls, the narrow medieval streets. Also Jorvik, which we skipped, but might be great for kids. And, of course, the Minster. There's definitely more than one day's worth here. Have you considered an overnight visit?

Bath is a beautiful town set in a bowl of green hills. The architecture, the Pump Room, the Costume Museum, etc. appeal more to adults. Kids would like the Roman Baths, maybe a walk along the canal watching narrowboats.

But neither of these is the countryside, though you can see it from Bath. You will see a little from the train. You need to drive -- or maybe walk -- to really enter the beautiful English countryside. Consider this a taste for the future.

So what makes you think the "family" doesn't like trains? Remember they have big comfortable seats and space to walk around. And a toilet at the end of the car. If you get a train with a restaurant car, they might be thrilled with eating on a moving train. All this while beautiful scenery passes by outside your window. I think trains are much better for kids than being strapped in a car.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 08:26 AM

<<< The family does not like the idea of spending too much time on the train >>>

The option would be to spend longer stuck in a car trying to get used to an unfamilar rpad system and driving on the corect side of the road, then there's finding parking, paying for petrol...
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 09:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
there is less than 30 mins difference in the train time so that shouldn't even factor into the equation.

Either one would be a great day trip but neither one is countryside.

Bath: Roman baths, Pump Room, Museum of costume, Abbey, really beautiful city, mostly Georgian w/ flowers everywhere.

York: Medieval walls encircling the whole city, the Minsyer, the fabulous York Castle Museum, the railroad museum, much older architecture, Jorvik Viking center (kids really enjoy this).

Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:01 AM

How about for a Sunday visit? Does that make any difference in the recommendation? How would each town be affected?
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:15 AM

One factor will be that British train schedules tend to be less frequent on Sundays, and also disrupted by works.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 12:52 PM

Sunday visit means less trains, slower trains which leads to more expensive trains

You'd also get people visting York for the weekend or for the day - it's probably the busiest day of the week for tourists as that's the day most people are likely to be off work
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 04:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If I had the choice, I wouldn't do either city on a weekend. Both Saterdays and Sundays are liable for train disruptions for rail work. Also, the tourist attractions in both cities would be more crowded on weekends.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 05:10 PM

Having been to both, I vote for York. Lots to do that appeals to all ages. Prior posters have listed the highlights. You could probably arrange a motorcoach tour to see the countryside around either York or Bath. If you don't want to travel that much in a day, there are many day trips closer to London, but I'm not sure if they contain picturesque countryside. You could take a boat trip on the Thames to Greenwich or to Hampton Court.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 03:10 PM

I haven't been to Bath or York so I can't help you on that front.

Battle is quite picturesque, and the site of the Battle of Hastings is pretty much rolling grassland. It was the closest to countryside that I visited on my one trip to London.

Old Aug 6th, 2007, 04:54 PM

Seems like the majority vote is for York.
I really prefer Bath for a day trip because the extra hour or so that you don't spend on the train travelling you can spend in the city.
Yes, there's lots to do in York but too much for a day trip. Just walking around the city walls would wear me out for the morning!

After a douzen trips to Bath I still try to fit in an overnight there every year. Bath Abbey is beautiful and just steps from the Roman Bath. Jane Austen lived here (there are tours).

I once lived and worked in York for 4 months and although I love the city I still recommend Bath for a daytrip.

By the way York is just as 'touristy' and crowded as Bath especially on weekends.