Notices

Day Trip from Florence to ????

Old Oct 25th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trip from Florence to ????

I have been advised by lots of people on this forum that if I want to take a day trip from Florence to somewhere, I shouldn't go for Venice because of distance and the time restraints we have. So I'm thinking either San Gimingano or Volterra (which I know little about, it was just recommended). My question is: Would it be feasible to hit SG, Siena, and Pisa (and anywhere else you know of) all in one day? Or would this be too much? And what do you think of Volterra?
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 01:29 PM

San Gimignano, Siena and Pisa would be too much for one day. Based on experience, I would choose 1, probably Siena and spend the day there. You might also be able to fit SG in the day but it would be a bit hectic. Volterra is nice but I would suggest Siena as the best place to spend a day from Florence.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 02:04 PM

I'd skip Pisa - it's ok, but... If you have a car - drive down to Sienna - following the smaller roads to the East of the main autoroute... that'll take you thru prime Chianti country. Enjoy Sienna (have fun finding parking!).. Then go back toward Florence by way of S.G. - it's delightful when the crowds are gone - after 4 pm... Streets get quiet - lots of places for a snack - or just a glass of wine. The shops might be closed, but that's not why you're there. Also later in the day there's no trouble at all finding parking... Have a great time. We stayed at a self-catering place half way between Florence & Siena for a week - and ended up going back to SG twice - both times late in the day. Great fun. You could even have your evening meal there - if you don't mind driving back to Florence late...
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 07:16 AM
ira

Hi sara,

Siena and SG are on the other side of Florence from Pisa.

I suggest taking the bus to Siena for the day.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 07:39 AM

Since you are staying in a city,I'd advise driving into the Chianti area. Hit Greve and work your way south.
If you want to see Siena,I agree that you should spend your day there.
Pisa would be my last choice.
Sam G and Volterra are nice, but they probably will fill up a day by themselves.