Notices

Day trips from florence

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:52 AM
stacy

Day trips from florence

Does anyone have suggestions for day trips from Florence (where our hotel is located)?

I am venturing to Italy for my honeymoon in a month. We are spending a good deal of time in Rome and then traveling up to Florence. I am sure by the time we arrive in Florence, I will be ready to get out of the city and see the famed Tuscany valley. Any suggestions on where we may venture (train/bus) to see the countryside, drink vino, and enjoy italy?

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:56 AM

If so inclined, Pisa's an easy day trip by train.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Tina

^
Yes, there are several places that make easy daytrips. In order of my personal preference.
1. Siena
2. Lucca
3. San Gimignano
4. Pisa

If you'd rather do a daytrip as a guided trek, several posters have given positive experiences using Caftours. They have a daytrip out of Florence, going to Siena & San Gimignano.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 08:09 AM
jack

my vote would be for Siena. it's very doable in a day and you can still get back to Florence for dinner if you wish.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Vita

You can take the bus to Siena or San Gimignano. Fiesole is also about a 20-minute busride away. There are also guided tours offered through CAF tours and the Accidental Tourist that you can join. (I haven't actually used either.)

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Vita

Stacy, Also, for a quickie away from the city without getting on the bus, cross the Ponte Vecchio and take a walk through the Boboli Gardens. This would be a nice place to bring a picnic lunch.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Martina

I had the most interesting wine course in a small village just north of Siena, but you would need a car to get there.
If you are interested in having more information contact [email protected] -I promise it's worthwhile! Have fun in Tuscany - it's a great place, ciao Martina

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Annie

We have taken the bus from Florence to Lucca and also Siena. Very easy trips and the countryside views from the bus windows are good. We took a bus from Siena to San Gimignano (sp?) which was also an easy trip and very worthwhile. I would guess there are many buses from Florence to San G also. Enjoy your trip; this is a beautiful area.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Grasshopper

I took the CAF tour to Siena and San G. and really enjoyed it. We also really liked their Chianti tour (half day). Depending on how long you are in Florence, I would do a half day to Pisa (1 hour train, then walk to the tower area... the town is delightful), and a late afternoon visit to Fiesole (#7 bus, takes 20 min.) Have dinner, or at least a glass of wine, while you watch the sun set over Florence. Bella!

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Aaron

I spent a few days in Montecattini Terme and thought it was beautiful. For a great view you can drive or take the funicular railroad up to the older village of Montecattini Alto. It's about 30 minutes from Florence if I remember correctly.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Jean

Best day trip out of Florence, easy contact Dario at [email protected], he will take you to see the most incredible off the beaten path places. I highly reccomend

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 11:46 AM
synonym

Try as well www.christinastour.com she's a great gal and very funny!

Syno

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 05:29 PM
steve

We took a great day trip from Florence to Montelcino and Pienza. In Montelcino we visited a winery and were able to sample the wonderful Brunello di Montelcino wine. Pienza is famous for its Rennaissance architecture. This was arranged for us by a very good guide named Paola (www.florencetour.com).
We also had a birthday dinner at a private villa arranged for us by a small company called The Accidental Tourist (www.accidentaltourist.com). The women we dealt with there was named Majla and she was wonderful. They also do bike tours, cooking classes and winery visits. A friend took one of their cooking classes and enjoyed that.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:19 PM
sam

I would not trip during the day. Too many people will see you acting like an idiot. Wait until dark, so then nobody can see who you are. I suggest the mushrooms. God Bless.