Day trip from Florence

Old Jun 12th, 2013, 05:42 PM
jcg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trip from Florence

Ideas for us for a day trip from Florence in three weeks. We have limited time this trip. We are leaning towards Bologna (never been) or Venice (been but during late November and a snow storm). Thanks! JCG
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 06:00 PM

Since you've been to Italy before, you might have already visited these destinations, but we like them all.

Stopped in Verona on trip between Venice and Florence
Day trip from Florence to Pisa (I know it's touristy)
Stopped in Assisi on trip between Florence and Rome

If I had to pick one it would be Assisi.
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 06:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I assume you mean by public transportation...

Personally, I wouldn't try to see Venice as a day trip from Florence in high season, but this is your trip.

Bologna is easy. Siena, San Gimignano, Lucca, Pisa, Pistoia, Montecatini Terme, and Arezzo are all within about an hour (one way) from Florence.
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 06:11 PM
jcg
Original Poster

Funny, I wanted to go back to Assisi to show this magnificant place to my husband. Was there 40 years ago. Perhaps a day trip from Rome not Florence. Have been to Siena and San Gimignano but not other Tuscan towns. Need to plan another vacation for them!

Bologna then? Take the train and hire a Tour by Local...any recommendations for lunch?
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 08:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Even from Rome, Assisi is a bit far for a day trip by public trans. The shortest train ride is 2 hours (one change), and then you have to ride the bus up to the town.

Have you been to Orvieto? It makes a better day trip from Rome.
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 02:30 PM

We recently took a bus trip to Siena with it's amazing "square", and a train trip to the walled city of Lucca. Both were easy and perfect day trips. Both were beautiful little towns.

We walked Siena and took a horse & cart trip around Lucca which was excellent - we saw little streets and canals that we wouldn't have found on our own in just one day.

I do recommend taking maps before you arrive, not try to find them once you are there. Even a basic computer printout would be helpful.
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 07:46 PM

If you choose Bologna for your day trip, and it can be done very easily from Florence by train (40mins on Eurostar Italia, 1hr on Intercity), then here are a few notes:

- a walking tour of the centre; download (or look at a good guide book like Eyewitness) a walking tour of the city, or go to the Information Centre in Piazza Maggiore (the main square) as they have walking tours taking 2hrs leaving regularly.

- look at lunch at Ristorante Diana on the main road leading from the train station to Pz Maggiore (Via dell'Indipendenza) Book ahead as it's a popular place for lunch, but worth it if you would like a special lunch with a Bolognese slant.

- you've probably already got a list of sights from your research, but to add to it/confirm: Sala Borsa in Pz Maggiore (check out the old city ruins under your feet!), the Portico del Pavaglion on via dell’Archiginnasio (as well as other porticos around this section, tourist info will be able to help you with a walking tour of them), the Quadrilatero area behind the Pz which has a market during the day, you'll see them form most places but you can also walk up to (and up!) the two towers called the Torre degli Asinelli and Torre Garisenda (check if you can still go up Asinelli) and see the lean on them!

- arriving by train: when you get to Bologna, exit the station, go across the front plaza, turn left and cross the street at the lights. You should be on the corner of viale Pietro Pietramellara and via dell'Independenza. Walk up Independenza and you'll go past shops, churches and general daily life for 20min until you reach Pz Maggiore. You can take a public bus if you prefer, but walking lets you see more of the city. There are a few other routes you could take to walk, but that's the most direct in terms of straight lines and not getting lost if you don't have a map to start.
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 07:34 AM
jcg
Original Poster

Bologna! Thanks all.