Day train trip from Hertogenbosch, Netherlands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2019, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be in Hertogenbosch for fournights in early November. We are traveling with another couple who are friends of ours and have family in the area. Although we will be partaking in some of the family visits and events with our friends, we would like to break off for one full day and take a day trip by train to another town in the area. We have been to Amsterdam before, so this time around we have no need to revisit. We are thinking of a smaller town somewhere within an hour and a half or so by train.

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Dave
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 01:08 PM

Maastricht perhaps? that is 90 minutes away.
Breda is only half an hour away from Den Bosch ('s Hertogenbosch) as is Utrecht.
Any would be an interesting day trip.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestions. I initially zeroed in on Utrecht because of how close it was, but am open to other suggestions as well.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by dwzemens
My wife and I will be in Hertogenbosch for fournights in early November. We are traveling with another couple who are friends of ours and have family in the area. Although we will be partaking in some of the family visits and events with our friends, we would like to break off for one full day and take a day trip by train to another town in the area. We have been to Amsterdam before, so this time around we have no need to revisit. We are thinking of a smaller town somewhere within an hour and a half or so by train.

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Dave
Utrecht is easy from Den Bosch, and so is Nijmegen. Both are great options, Nijmegen a little more so. Nijmegen and Arnhem both could also be a great daytrip
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 01:22 AM

We spent 3 nights in Den Bosch a few years ago to see the Hieronymous Bosch exhibit and absolutely loved the town. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the day trips suggested above. Have fun!
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 05:34 AM

There are so many options. Maybe Maastricht, Nijmegen, Breda or even Antwerpen. If you like to be a true tourist, you could even visit Kinderdijk.
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by JessicaBr
There are so many options. Maybe Maastricht, Nijmegen, Breda or even Antwerpen. If you like to be a true tourist, you could even visit Kinderdijk.
Kinderdijk not that feasible as a daytrip, even from Den Bosch.
Antwerpen from Den Bosch also not that straightforward by train. Cologne however...
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by menachem
Kinderdijk not that feasible as a daytrip, even from Den Bosch.
Antwerpen from Den Bosch also not that straightforward by train. Cologne however...
Ok to either Kinderdijk or Antwerp there are no direct connections, you need to change. But even then the travel time is shorter than the almost 3-hour train ride to Cologne.
Tilburg and Nijmegen are also nice....the Netherlands is such a small country with so many cute places to visit
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by JessicaBr
Ok to either Kinderdijk or Antwerp there are no direct connections, you need to change. But even then the travel time is shorter than the almost 3-hour train ride to Cologne.
Tilburg and Nijmegen are also nice....the Netherlands is such a small country with so many cute places to visit
With Kinderdijk it's not just you need to change, you need to change to altogether different mode of transport. And need to trek through Dordrecht, or take the not too frequent city buses to get to that Waterbus. Then, you most likely need to change to another ferry at Ridderkerk. Bonus: Dordrecht is great for a daytrip.

Disclaimer: I live in that area.(Rotterdam)
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

Great advice - thanks to everyone!
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by menachem
With Kinderdijk it's not just you need to change, you need to change to altogether different mode of transport. And need to trek through Dordrecht, or take the not too frequent city buses to get to that Waterbus. Then, you most likely need to change to another ferry at Ridderkerk. Bonus: Dordrecht is great for a daytrip.

Disclaimer: I live in that area.(Rotterdam)
Thanks, I didn't realize that. When we visited Kinderdijk we did it with a horse carriage. We didn't go there straight, but went to the place where the carriage was and had coffee first. It was pretty nice