Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day train trip from Hertogenbosch, Netherlands (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-train-trip-from-hertogenbosch-netherlands-1672768/)

dwzemens Oct 11th, 2019 12:28 PM

Day train trip from Hertogenbosch, Netherlands

My wife and I will be in Hertogenbosch for fournights in early November. We are traveling with another couple who are friends of ours and have family in the area. Although we will be partaking in some of the family visits and events with our friends, we would like to break off for one full day and take a day trip by train to another town in the area. We have been to Amsterdam before, so this time around we have no need to revisit. We are thinking of a smaller town somewhere within an hour and a half or so by train.

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Dave

hetismij2 Oct 11th, 2019 01:08 PM

Maastricht perhaps? that is 90 minutes away.
Breda is only half an hour away from Den Bosch ('s Hertogenbosch) as is Utrecht.
Any would be an interesting day trip.

dwzemens Oct 11th, 2019 01:09 PM

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestions. I initially zeroed in on Utrecht because of how close it was, but am open to other suggestions as well.

menachem Oct 11th, 2019 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by dwzemens (Post 16999285)
My wife and I will be in Hertogenbosch for fournights in early November. We are traveling with another couple who are friends of ours and have family in the area. Although we will be partaking in some of the family visits and events with our friends, we would like to break off for one full day and take a day trip by train to another town in the area. We have been to Amsterdam before, so this time around we have no need to revisit. We are thinking of a smaller town somewhere within an hour and a half or so by train.

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Dave

Utrecht is easy from Den Bosch, and so is Nijmegen. Both are great options, Nijmegen a little more so. Nijmegen and Arnhem both could also be a great daytrip

StCirq Oct 12th, 2019 01:22 AM

We spent 3 nights in Den Bosch a few years ago to see the Hieronymous Bosch exhibit and absolutely loved the town. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the day trips suggested above. Have fun!

JessicaBr Oct 18th, 2019 05:34 AM

There are so many options. Maybe Maastricht, Nijmegen, Breda or even Antwerpen. If you like to be a true tourist, you could even visit Kinderdijk.

menachem Oct 21st, 2019 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by JessicaBr (Post 17002361)
There are so many options. Maybe Maastricht, Nijmegen, Breda or even Antwerpen. If you like to be a true tourist, you could even visit Kinderdijk.

Kinderdijk not that feasible as a daytrip, even from Den Bosch.
Antwerpen from Den Bosch also not that straightforward by train. Cologne however...

JessicaBr Oct 22nd, 2019 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by menachem (Post 17004396)
Kinderdijk not that feasible as a daytrip, even from Den Bosch.
Antwerpen from Den Bosch also not that straightforward by train. Cologne however...

Ok to either Kinderdijk or Antwerp there are no direct connections, you need to change. But even then the travel time is shorter than the almost 3-hour train ride to Cologne.
Tilburg and Nijmegen are also nice....the Netherlands is such a small country with so many cute places to visit

menachem Oct 22nd, 2019 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by JessicaBr (Post 17004818)
Ok to either Kinderdijk or Antwerp there are no direct connections, you need to change. But even then the travel time is shorter than the almost 3-hour train ride to Cologne.
Tilburg and Nijmegen are also nice....the Netherlands is such a small country with so many cute places to visit

With Kinderdijk it's not just you need to change, you need to change to altogether different mode of transport. And need to trek through Dordrecht, or take the not too frequent city buses to get to that Waterbus. Then, you most likely need to change to another ferry at Ridderkerk. Bonus: Dordrecht is great for a daytrip.

Disclaimer: I live in that area.(Rotterdam)

dwzemens Oct 23rd, 2019 02:50 AM

Great advice - thanks to everyone!

JessicaBr Oct 24th, 2019 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by menachem (Post 17004837)
With Kinderdijk it's not just you need to change, you need to change to altogether different mode of transport. And need to trek through Dordrecht, or take the not too frequent city buses to get to that Waterbus. Then, you most likely need to change to another ferry at Ridderkerk. Bonus: Dordrecht is great for a daytrip.

Disclaimer: I live in that area.(Rotterdam)

Thanks, I didn't realize that. When we visited Kinderdijk we did it with a horse carriage. We didn't go there straight, but went to the place where the carriage was and had coffee first. It was pretty nice