Search

Day Tour from Venice to Lake Garda

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Tour from Venice to Lake Garda

Your help is once again requested
Any ideas of how to spend a day at Lake Garda. Which is the best way to get there, is it by train or bus.
thanks for your help
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 05:41 AM

My personal opinion....a day trip would be very dfficult to do. Major spots we visited around the lake were simione, limione and riva, waterfall north of Riva, hang gliding/hiking area to on the east side of the lake, etc. We spent three days there. the ferry from one end (riva as an example) to simione takes about 8 hours leisurely. Just as you could 'do' a day trip from Indy to Chicago, it would be terribly long, rushed and you'd miss a lot. Can you spend more than one day?
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 05:50 AM

Too far--go to Burano/ Torcello instead.
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 06:35 AM

According to another thread, Madar is traveling in November and hoping to experience a bit of mountain scenery and even snow for his/her party of 5, including two teenage children. They live on Malta and never see mountains or snow. The original idea was Cortina--another long day trip.

Can anyone suggest a closer "mountain" locale accessible by train or bus?
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 12:48 PM

Cortina is the closest real mountains.
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM

What about Bassano del Grappa, Belluno or Bolzano? But, I guess the latter is about 3 hours each way by train.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

Yep ellenem, thanks as usual for saving me
We will be a party of 5 two of which aged 18 and 15. keep in mind that we come from Malta .... no mountains, snow, lakes or rivers just sun and a mild winters compared to other countries. Kids have only seen snow on postcards Cortina, is a bit far fetched but Lake Garda for the day from what I can see can be done with 1hr train trip from venice. Once there maybe a boat trip across the lake but dont know what else.
I am more than welcome for any other suggestions and hope the above helps.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

By the way been Burano, Murano, Torcello and Chioggia .....oh and train trips dont bother us either ....its a pleasure as its another thing we dont have in Malta. So if it means taking a 2 hr train trip for some wonderful sites as mentioned already we dont mind it at all.
So I've been reading about Lake Garda - what if we arrive at Peschiera del Garda and take it from there maybe a boat trip weather permitting to see some sceneries would be good. If you have any other suggestions pls send them in thanks
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 06:17 AM

I go there often since I have friends who live in Peschiera. Since there are so many wonderful towns around the lake I would suggest renting a car and drive around. Stop when you see something that interests you. Alot will be shut down since it is very seasonal but if you have your heart set on Lago di Garda, rent a car. The fall colors will be sensational.
You will have to leave Venice before sunrise and it will be LATE when you get back. If you can overnight along the way, do that, otherwise it is just a fire drill.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Hi ahotpoet and thanks for your reply.
Although given the time I wouldnt mind going round the villages, I am more interested in the scenery as such. Like I'd rather maybe go from Peschiera to another village by a boat maybe have a meal there, have a look around and time permitting maybe through another village and then head back to Peschiera. You being a frequent visitor may help me out by suggesting which are the best villages to go to and maybe the duration by boat to the villages or else if you know some websites where i can check them out. Thanks again for all your help
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 04:28 AM

Madar - If you want scenery, then maybe Cortina is still a good option. The town will be quiet as I've said - but you will certainly see some spectacular mountain views. But ... you need a clear day, of course. You could decide on the day - depending on the weather forecast.

Otherwise ... for scenery the northern half of Lake Garda - Malcesine, Limone, Riva - is good.

Whichever you choose it's a long day ...

Steve
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi Steve,
You mixing me up now Though I think we are opting to Lake Garda. We will get a train from Venice and arrive at Peschiera at about 10am. I still need to check or receive suggestions about the ferries. Then I leave again from Peschiera at about 7/8pm. Do you think during this time frame I can visit by Ferry at least one of the places you mentioned. even if it means getting back to Peschiera by bus. My problem is I cannot imagine the size of the lake and how long it may take me to cross the lake ..... not when you come from an island which is 28KM from one end to the other and the length is there due to its shape
Marisa
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 05:33 AM
GAC

If you really want to do this as a day trip out of Venice, you should know that it takes 2.5 hours in each direction, plus connection time in Verona. You must take a train to Verona Porta Nuova Station (90 mins.), then a bus to either Sirmione or Garda town (60 mins.). Service is hourly. The bus station in Verona is 200 yards to the right of the train station, facing away from the train station. While travel time exceeds 5 hours, it is also true that you don't need more than 3 hours to see either lakeside town.

If you were based in Verona, you would also have the time to take a boat on the lake, which is very worthwhile.

In summary, I don't think that this day trip is justified for most travellers on a limited travel schedule. Time is better spent visiting sites closer to Venice, such as Murano, Burano, Torcello, Chioggia and Padova.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi GAC,
Thanks for your input however I went on the trenitalia site and there are trains from Venice directly to Peschiera and trip is 90 mins. Then, from what I am getting is I can catch a bus to Sirmione which is nearer to Peschiera, and board the ferry there. If I am right can I do it ? By the way been to Murano, Burano, Torcello, Chioggia and Padova already and would like something totally different.
Pls Pls keep on sending me the info as its helping me loads.
Thanks to all
Marisa
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 06:49 AM

Madar - If it's mountain scenery you want, forget Sirmione and the southern part of the lake. Head north ...

Here's what I'd do. Catch an early train to Verona, then catch the bus from Verona to Garda.

From Garda you could catch the 10.48 ferry up the lake (- via Malcesine and Limone) to Riva.

http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/g...g_ora_dsr.html

From Riva you can backtrack to Malcesine by bus, catching a later bus back to Verona.

Alternatively you could do it in reverse, bussing all the way to Riva, then cruising back to Garda (- or Torri del Benaco) by ferry for a bus back to Verona.

It's an extremely long day and you will be on the move much of the time - but if you want to see the mountains of Lake Garda that's your best option.

Otherwise it's back to Plan A ... Cortina

The choice is yours ...

Steve
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Steve, now that's what I needed ...........you just laid it out all for us ... you are a saviour. THANKS AND THANKS
Marisa