day-long mountain/hill hikes

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 04:44 PM
Judy

day-long mountain/hill hikes

Looking for dependable suggestions for day hikes anywhere in south west or south east Ireland. Want great views, good trails, elevation gain, no crowds of people. We're used to mountain trails in western Rockies (Canada) -- want rewarding hikes, but not technical (rope) hiking. Also, suggestions for b & b or hotels near good hikes? Going in July this year. Thanks for all advice!

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 06:07 PM
Sally

There is plenty of good hiking on the Dingle peninsula, we have done several day hikes that were recommended to us by staff in the Mountain Man, an outdoor shop in downtown Dingle (I can't remember the name of the street it's on, but it's right in the center, near the only big grocery store in town). They were very helpful and knew the area well. They recommended one hike of about 10-12 miles, with I'd guess about 2,500 ft. elevation gain on the north side of Dingle peninsula (trailhead was about 1/2 hours drive from town). It was everything you're looking for, I think. Check with them. I've also heard that the Beara peninsula has some good hiking spots, but I've never been there.

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 06:08 PM
Sally

There is plenty of good hiking on the Dingle peninsula, we have done several day hikes that were recommended to us by staff in the Mountain Man, an outdoor shop in downtown Dingle (I can't remember the name of the street it's on, but it's right in the center, near the only big grocery store in town). They were very helpful and knew the area well. They recommended one hike of about 10-12 miles, with I'd guess about 2,500 ft. elevation gain on the north side of Dingle peninsula (trailhead was about 1/2 hours drive from town). It was everything you're looking for, I think. Check with them. I've also heard that the Beara peninsula has some good hiking spots, but I've never been there.

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 04:51 PM
Sally

Thanks for your message! How was the footing on the Dingle hike -- worthy of true hiking boots, or would approach hikers or strong running shoes do it? Also, did you find the trails well sign posted? Judy

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 04:51 PM
Sally

Thanks for your message! How was the footing on the Dingle hike -- worthy of true hiking boots, or would approach hikers or strong running shoes do it? Also, did you find the trails well sign posted? Judy

Old Jul 9th, 1999, 10:35 AM
Malcolm

Here's a website that has lots of links with information about hiking in different parts of Ireland:
http://indigo.ie/~sstewart/morelink.htm