day in Amsterdam

Old Jun 23rd, 1997, 05:44 PM
jryan

day in Amsterdam

On Wednesday, July 16, my husband and I will arrive
from MN about 6:00 in the morning. Our connecting
flight does not leave until 8:00 that evening.
Any ideas on what to do in that short time? Thank you! This is our first visit, as well.

Old Jun 25th, 1997, 05:01 AM
suzanne

Some suggestions: Stop at the tourist information center across the street from the Central Station in downtown Amsterdam. Buy a museum boat pass, board it there, and take a ride on the canal. The boat runs frequently and makes stops at the Anne Frank House, the Rijksmuseum (the Van Gogh Museum is a two-block walk from this stop), the Rembrandt House, and other spots. I'd visit all three sites noted above. The Museum boats run until 5-6 p.m. and would drop you off back at the tourist information center so you could take a train back to Schipol Airport. Enjoy!

Old Jun 26th, 1997, 06:10 PM
jryan

Thank you for your post, Suzanne. It is appreciated!

Old Jul 4th, 1997, 07:26 PM
Gary Nagler

Agree with last writer that the canal boat trip is probably your best bet for an overall view of inner Amsterdam. One other area of interest near the Railroad Station is Dam Square, which is sort of the center of activity for lots of strange goings on! Also, if you can and if it doesn't bother your sensibilities, a walk through the red light district is certainly interesting. Enjoy yourself.

Old Jul 5th, 1997, 07:38 AM
jryan

Gary--thank you for your reply. I think the Dam is
where the monument to honor the WWII fighters is
located. Good advice.

Old Jul 9th, 1997, 11:10 PM
Christopher

I can recommend Hendrikse for Dutch chocolate - try the nutmeg piece. At Schiphol in the duty-free liquor store you can find Advokaat, an unusual Dutch egg liquer. It's quite thick; I eat it by the spoon.

For good, very reasonable Indonesian food, try Bojo, near Prinsengracht and Leidsestraat, under the Hotel Orfeo. I have almost all my dinners there while in AMS.

Eet smaakelijk! (sp?) (I believe that's bon appetit in Dutch)

Old Jul 10th, 1997, 02:30 PM
bill t

Be extra carefull with your valuables this is not a safe city!!!! We speak from first hand experience.
This is the only city in Europe- and I have been to 10- that I felt that we would be mugged or pick pocketed or both- all the time!!!!!!!! Good luck- have fun but be very aware of your surroundings and the people that approach!!!!!!