David got a bath

Search

David got a bath

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David got a bath

After seeing the Fountain at Trevi sparkling white I can't imagine what David will look like. My cudos to the Italians for restoring these works. Or do I?
Old May 24th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Airlawgirl

The Fiorentini actually make jokes about David- they're rather off-color, and not very complimentary!

Old May 24th, 2004, 04:12 PM

I saw a segment this morning on the Today Show on NBC (American morning news/entertainment show) about the cleaning/restoration work that was done on David. However, the network censors had the reporter strategically positioned in front of David so as not to show his penis! What's the deal? Half the population on earth have a penis. David's head, torso and left leg looked magnificent, from what I could see.

We're inundated with grotesque pictures of abuse from Abu Ghraib prison, deluged with video filled with the horrors of war, and bombarded with violent crime shows, all which are acceptable, but a 500 year old piece of beautiful artwork depicting the human body is considered obscene? The world must be laughing at us.

By the way, I did make a complaint to NBC and my federal congressman. Peace.

Robyn

Old May 24th, 2004, 04:31 PM

Re: <i>We're inundated with grotesque pictures of abuse from Abu Ghraib prison, deluged with video filled with the horrors of war, and bombarded with violent crime shows, all which are acceptable, but a 500 year old piece of beautiful artwork depicting the human body is considered obscene?</i>

Excellent point, Robyn! Reminds me of when Atty. Gen. John Ashcroft ordered the concealment of the bare breast -- <i>oh, the HORROR! Don't let the young children see...next thing you know they might actually want to nurse on one!!!</i> -- on the 12-foot Spirit of Justice statue.

It's amazing how, as you alluded to, violence is so acceptable on TV and in movies in the U.S., but sex is not. Slaughter 50 people in a movie? Hey, no problem! Show someone's bare genitals? It's the end of civilization!
Old May 24th, 2004, 04:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
You, two, Got it right
Old May 24th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

So....what do you really think? Should David be crystaline white or show the patina of age?
Old May 24th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Airlawgirl

Yikes, Artstuff! You used the P word!

Anyway, as the lady I boarded with in Florence would say, somewhat sadly, concerning David: &quot;i suoi attributi sono molto piccolo&quot; -(his attributes are very small) um, well, quite!

Old May 24th, 2004, 04:57 PM

&quot;molto piccolo&quot;? That reminds me of another Italian phrase: fallopian tubas.

(By the way, fallopian <i>does</i> come from an Italian, Gabriel Fallopius, an anatomist who died in 1562.)
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:13 PM

johnthedorf -

The Today Show segment did mention the controversy surronding the restoration work. Many people were against it. In the end, it sounds like they painstakingly and gently washed the entire surface with distilled water. I suppose with all the pollution that accumulated on the statue as it sat outside for all those years, it was necessary to prevent further deterioration. Personally, I can't wait to return to Florence to see it sparkle. Peace.

Robyn
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:20 PM

Well, his spa treatments (mud packs and sponge bath) may have been administered by Italians, but look who paid for them!

http://apnews1.iwon.com/article/20040524/D82P6REG2.html