darn that money

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2003, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
darn that money

Going to Italy Which is the best bet?

Amex travellers cheques in US $
any fee to cash? will most hotels, reaturants accept them? or do I need to exchange them to Euros at an Amex outlet

atm machines

Using Amex for purchases- accepted at most restaurants, tours etc. Any fee for using?

I know this has been discussed but I'm hoping for one easy answer!
Thanks
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 08:00 PM
rex

Credit cards (sure, Amex is fine, but not always accepted everywhere) and ATM machines.

If you like the feeling of belt AND suspenders, then take travelers' checks (no-fee type) in the amount of 25-50% of your monthly household income, and plan never to touch it, except in some totally unforeseeable circumstance.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We took travellers cheques to Italy last year and would not bother again. Shops and restaurants, even hotels, would not take them and we ended up queueing in banks to cash them. Even then, one bank would only cash two at a time so we had to find another bank to keep us going. If you do take TCs I would take them in euros, not American $.
I would take an ATM card. Our bank charges a percentage on every foreign currency transaction so I would check with yours. Also take some euros for when you first arrive, to pay for a cab, drink, the toilet (usually 50 euro cents in Italy) etc.
Kay
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 12:01 AM

We took 100 Euros in cash for taxis. food etc immediately, then used atms for cash each time. The maximum is 250 Euros at the ATM, and we found the 2 banks we used for our credit cards each charged different amounts for the cash transfer, so check with your bank before you go! Plenty of ATM's everywhere, if the restaurant won't accept credit cards.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 03:45 AM

I agree with the above. You really don't need traveler's checks and they are often a hassle to cash. Lots of places won't take them anymore.

ATMs are prevalent, check with your bank to make sure yours will work overseas.

Use credit cards where you can. You get a better exchange rate than by changing actual money. Note that a lot of places won't take Amex, so have a Visa or MC also.

Have fun!
Karen
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. Your answers were really helpful.
Linda
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 09:24 AM

Hello, Imjen
I was in Italy last month. ATMs are not all limited to 250 Euro per day. The limit is determined by your financial institution for your account. Whatever your regular limit is, you can speak with your bank or credit union and ask to have it temporarily raised while you are travelling. We also informed our credit card issuer of our travel plans. We had no problems with either ATMs or credit card. Enjoy Italy.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 09:32 AM

Just to add to Rookie's comment. True that your daily limit is dictated by your own bank. HOWEVER, each transaction's limit is dictated by the particular bank's machine that you are using. If the machine in Italy has a limit of 250 euro, you will not be able to get more during that one transaction. You'll have to do another transaction afterwards, so beware of transaction fees adding up from your bank.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 09:47 AM

Good point, Nutella. We were in cities with large tourist populations, and all the ATMs we used had fast-cash options of 500 or more, but that doesn't mean every ATM will. Another thought that came to me is to remember that the time difference (5 to 9 hours earlier than North America) and weekends can affect withdrawals. Banks may consider Saturday and Sunday as one day. If you withdraw your limit after your bank at home closes on Friday, you may not be able to make another withdrawal until your bank at home opens on Monday.